Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2015 12:00

Poweredge R210 eSata, Support Port Multipliers??

Does anyone know if the R210, the first one not the R210 II, supports port multipliers on the eSata port?  Or any of its Sata ports????

I can't find any mention of the eSata port in any of the manuals or specs online and nobody seems to know what it supports.

I have a JBOD with eSata port multiplier that i would like to use to expand out to an additional four drives off the eSata port.  Unfortunately i can't install a eSata host card because the only PCIe slot is already in use running a Perc 6/e for an MD1000.

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

December 1st, 2015 07:00

CrazyHamSales,

It does appear that the R210 does support port multipliers, as seen on both buses below.

Bus Name Raw bandwidth (Mbit/s) Transfer speed (MB/s) Max. cable length (m) Power provided Devices per Channel
eSATA 3,000 300 2 with eSATA HBA (1 with passive adapter) No 1 (15 with port multiplier)
SATA 300 3,000 300 1 No 1 (15 with port multiplier)

Hope that clarifies the question, as well as provides the specs you are looking for.

December 1st, 2015 09:00

Thank You!!  

Ok now that its confirmed i will get it put in the rack and give it a shot, just as soon as i get dug out from the half foot of snow we just got... ugh...  

December 4th, 2015 10:00

I still can't get anything to work on the eSata port on this R210, do i need to install a driver or configure something in the bios that i'm not seeing??

I tried four different cables and three different enclosures now, i can always see the first drive connected to any port multiplier that i try, but i can't see the other drives.  I checked in disk management they aren't showing up there, i rebooted a few times, at boot it only detects and lists the first drive connected to the multiplier as well.

December 4th, 2015 11:00

I still can't get anything to work on the eSata port on this R210, do i need to install a driver or configure something in the bios that i'm not seeing??

I tried four different cables and three different enclosures now, i can always see the first drive connected to any port multiplier that i try, but i can't see the other drives.  I checked in disk management they aren't showing up there, i rebooted a few times, at boot it only detects and lists the first drive connected to the multiplier as well.

No Events found!