Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 18th, 2017 20:00

Poweredge R210 showing raid degraded on boot up

This server has 2 SATA 1 TB drives configured as a virtual raid 1.  I see the degraded message during boot but windows does load and runs, though it is slow and momentarily freezes for 10-20 seconds every once and awhile.  In open manage  there is an error triangle next to the virtual drive.  If you mouse over the triangle it says - non-critical.  I was expecting to drill down further and see the physical drives with one showing an error, but it does not let you any further than seeing the single virtual drive.

Does this indicate that drive 1 is bad and should be replaced?  If so, should I replace the drive and let it rebuild on its own or do I need to first undo the raid, replace the drive, then recreate the mirror?  Or is there something else I need to be looking at?  I appreciate any help on this issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 25th, 2017 13:00

Hello.

In open manage  there is an error triangle next to the virtual drive.  If you mouse over the triangle it says - non-critical.  I was expecting to drill down further and see the physical drives with one showing an error, but it does not let you any further than seeing the single virtual drive.

This error is common with uncertified hard drives. Are these drives Dell certified? Do consider updating the system BIOS, BMC and controller firmware.

Does this indicate that drive 1 is bad and should be replaced?  If so, should I replace the drive and let it rebuild on its own or do I need to first undo the raid, replace the drive, then recreate the mirror?  Or is there something else I need to be looking at?  I appreciate any help on this issue.

The drive may not necessarily be bad. You can run offline diagnostics on the drives to ascertain their true status. If you are using hot swap drives, then simply remove the failed drive and replace with the new one. It normally rebuilds automatically and if not assign as a hot spare. For cabled drives, power down the server and replace the drive. See link: http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/Enterprise-Tools/32-Bit-Diags 

24 Posts

May 25th, 2017 15:00

The drives that are installed are Dell certified. I will look at the available updates. Right now one drive shows it is functioning which is drive 0:1 the other drive is showing as missing. If I did replace the missing drive would it be drive 0? The drives are cables.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2017 09:00

Yes. Begin by reseating the cables associated with the drives and monitor the errors.

24 Posts

June 16th, 2017 18:00

I replaced drive 0, using a Dell drive that is the same part number as the failed drive.  The drive did not automatically rebuild but now in Open Manage I see 2 physical disks under the virtual drive.  Drive 1 shows online with no errors.  Drive 0 shows offline with status critical.  I tried to assign drive 0 as a spare, but this option is not available under the task pull down.  It shows only - no task available.  Another thing I noticed for the virtual drive under hot spare policy violated - yes.  How can I get the new drive to rebuild?  Could the controller also be a problem?

No Events found!