Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2013 02:00

Poweredge T105 , Win 7 and Xpmode

I have a particularly complicated set up in order that I can continue to use an old but high quality HP printer from XP. This involves running Win 7 and XP as VM's within Ubuntu12 on a Dell poweredge T105.

I have now learnt win 7 allows XP mode, and therefore (I assume) the XP print drivers I need for the printer. This would allow me to simplfy theset up and reduce the memory load in terms of the number of Op SYs' I have on the machine.
I checked the PC using "Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool" and it reported that the processor is not capable of doing so. Knowing I am running windows under emulation I wasn't  confident of the test, so I checked the processor and these sites suggest it does.
Anyone know if this is possible, where i might find out, or how I could test without rebuilding the set up?
Any thoughts or help much appreciated.
Rgds
Bob S

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 4th, 2013 06:00

HAV is not passed through to guest OS's (neither is most hardware-specific functionality, as it is emulated as a generic (or compatible) device) ... you can't run XP Mode in a Windows 7 virtual machine, just like you cannot run Hyper-V in a virtual machine.  You would need to install Windows 7 directly on the hardware to run XP Mode.

990 Posts

December 4th, 2013 06:00

Checking the bios setup, there is not a switch to enable\disable virtualization, so by default, it is turned on and will support virtual machines as you have suggested.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Regards,

No Events found!