Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2014 20:00

Poweredge T20 (2014 version) - Memory errors

My windows installation blue-screened several days ago ( i have only had the system about 2 months).  The dell diags accessed via F12 on boot say there are no problems.  However if i use the memtest boot cd, it shows 1500+ memory errors.  I ran it continuously and it always got the same amount of errors.  There are obviously problems with the memory, but how do i get Dell to replace the memory?  

thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 21st, 2014 20:00

Call Support.  Unless you are in an area that supports Chat, then calling them is the only way to initiate a warranty replacement of faulty RAM.  Dell usually requires their diagnostics to determine faulty hardware, so your third-party memtest results may be insufficient for them to automatically replace them under warranty, but at least you can get the process started.  They may have an explanation for it, or they may go ahead and do a one-time replacement as a courtesy without the pre-boot diagnostics codes to confirm.  The only way to know is to work within Dell's Support framework toward a resolution.  Were you able to isolate a single DIMM that was faulty?

31 Posts

June 25th, 2014 12:00

Install a single module and see if it boots (make sure the other 3 slots are empty). Repeat the process with the next 3 modules. This way you will be able to isolate the DIMM or DIMMs that is/are faulty. If your memory is under warranty (which I bet is under warranty)... get it replaced from Dell.

Good luck. 

No Events found!