Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2016 11:00

Problem with RAM and Graphics Card

Hi all!

Today I got a PowerEdge T310 from a friend of mine that used it as a Server, inside it has a Xeon X3430, 4 GB of RAM and a pair of 250 GB HDDs and I thought that I could use it as a daily driver for a few months, until I get a new PC. I turned off the integrated graphic card (Matrox) and put in a GTX 650 from Asus, but when I start the PC and Windows display the log-in screen the mouse and the keyboard don't work, I read and I found that I have to remove one stick of memory in ordere to make it works.

I removed it and it worked, but is there a fix to this problem?
And also the fan utilised as a dissipator is always running at max speed, and it's not going down, how can I solve this?
Many thanks to everyone that will answer the questions :)

• 

8.8K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

Demoox,

The likely the issue you are having is being caused by the use of the 3rd party graphic cards. Most of Dell servers won't support disabling the embedded video for a graphics card, so with that being said I would suggest removing the card and see if the symptoms stop. If so then likely the issue is caused by the graphics card.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2016 08:00

Yes, I forgot to write that the problem does not present if the Graphics Card is removed and the 2GB stick is re-inserted

So 4GB+VGA=windows freeze; 2GB+VGA=All right; 4GB without VGA= All right

The initial problem was the resolution, so I thought that putting in another VGA would resolve that problem, without causing other problems

3 Posts

January 14th, 2016 11:00

The actual question is: why with 4 GB of RAM the Server isn't working but with only 2 the machine is usable?

No Events found!