Highlighted
Demoox
Not applicable

Problem with RAM and Graphics Card

Hi all!

Today I got a PowerEdge T310 from a friend of mine that used it as a Server, inside it has a Xeon X3430, 4 GB of RAM and a pair of 250 GB HDDs and I thought that I could use it as a daily driver for a few months, until I get a new PC. I turned off the integrated graphic card (Matrox) and put in a GTX 650 from Asus, but when I start the PC and Windows display the log-in screen the mouse and the keyboard don't work, I read and I found that I have to remove one stick of memory in ordere to make it works.

I removed it and it worked, but is there a fix to this problem?
And also the fan utilised as a dissipator is always running at max speed, and it's not going down, how can I solve this?
Many thanks to everyone that will answer the questions 🙂

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Problem with RAM and Graphics Card

Demoox,

The likely the issue you are having is being caused by the use of the 3rd party graphic cards. Most of Dell servers won't support disabling the embedded video for a graphics card, so with that being said I would suggest removing the card and see if the symptoms stop. If so then likely the issue is caused by the graphics card.

Hope this helps.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Demoox
Not applicable

Yes, I forgot to write that the problem does not present if the Graphics Card is removed and the 2GB stick is re-inserted

So 4GB+VGA=windows freeze; 2GB+VGA=All right; 4GB without VGA= All right

The initial problem was the resolution, so I thought that putting in another VGA would resolve that problem, without causing other problems

0 Kudos
Demoox
Not applicable

The actual question is: why with 4 GB of RAM the Server isn't working but with only 2 the machine is usable?

0 Kudos