Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2010 15:00

R410 iDRAC6 enterprise install problem

Hi,

I have a r410 with a idrac6 express card in it which  has been working fine and I put a idrac6 enterprise card in it (Dell part number K869T).  With the enterprise card installed always get a iDRAC6 communication failure. I tried reseating the card, powering down the server and unplugging it for a minute, and I always installed or reseated the card with the server unplugged. None of the standard methods of getting this card worked.  I'm running BIOS 1.47 with BMC 1.10 firmware so could there be some sort of firmware compatibility issue going on?

To make things worse when I removed the enterprise card and left the express card in I now get the same communication failure error so I had to remove the express card in addition to the enterprise card to get the server to boot correctly.

Thanks,

Matt

September 9th, 2010 01:00

For what it's worth, I have encountered idrac6 communication failures as well (from the system to the card), although the idrac itself was still responsive via its web interface. Resetting the idrac from the web interface cured this. I don't know to which extent the card includes a battery which makes this reset operation necessary or not, but you might want to give it a try. Note that powering down the server, unplugging it and so on, is not likely to properly reset the idrac.

E.

347 Posts

September 9th, 2010 12:00

When troubleshooting this issue, first be sure to verify the proper settings. Log into the iDRAC POST Utility and ensure that under the “LAN PARAMETERS”   “NIC SELECTION” is properly set to DEDICATED. When set to SHARED, web console, IPMI etc... are accessible through LOM1 only. The DEDICATED option will only appear when a functional iDRAC6 Enterprise Card is installed in the system. Ensure the card is properly seated.   One final note, if the card has recently been reseated or motherboard replaced, iDRAC6 may have automatically reset the NIC SELECTION back to default which is SHARED. And unplugging the system does reset the drac, but it does NOT reset it back to defaults, that can only be done via racadm commands or via the Cntrl E interface during post.

2 Posts

September 9th, 2010 12:00

Actually with just the express card plugged I wouldn't even get the iDRAC POST Utility (CTRL->E), the bios would say it couldn't communicate with the card so it would go into a reboot loop. Turned out that the express card was dead, Dell sent me a new one under warranty and that fixed the problem.

No Events found!