Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2015 04:00

R420 2nd cpu error with HWC2005 system board riser cable or interconnect failure

Hello,

I got a dell R420 was shipped with single cpu (e5-2420v2) as list here :

my st :

And I see that there are 2 riser card on the board.

Yesterday I plug in a new one e5-2420v2 (with heatsink and fan) to run dual cpu. The system boot fine, I can now access the OS as normal and can see 24 cores.

But the lcd screen in-front-of the server change from green to orange with warning : HWC2005 system board riser cable or interconnect failure ...

How can I fix this ? is this dangerous ?

Plz show advices.

Thank you and Brs.

anhhuyla@

• 

6.2K Posts

November 14th, 2015 14:00

Hello

There is a different riser 1 that we install for dual CPU configurations. You may always get errors using that riser in a dual CPU configuration.

Riser 1 is required for POST, so if the error were fatal the system would not complete POST. I would suggest reseating both risers and clearing the hardware log. You should save a copy of the hardware log for your records before clearing it. Some errors will persist until the log is cleared even if they are not active errors.

Thanks

11 Posts

November 16th, 2015 23:00

Hello,

I enclose here the riser card for 2nd cpu.

picasaweb.google.com/.../HFb2CiF_bNv-R-WzZUpaLQcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

The server keep self restart about 5 times a day at random time.

The omreport log :

picasaweb.google.com/.../RkFrulKsOQgL2OK2EcHahgcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

picasaweb.google.com/.../YdhPr9lhwD06WgzXbOSj7AcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

What could cause the problem ?

What do you mean reseating both risercard ? I dont really understand it, you mean un-plug then re-plug the risers ?

Plz show advices.

Thanks alot.

Anhhuyla@

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 09:00

I enclose here the riser card for 2nd cpu.

picasaweb.google.com/.../HFb2CiF_bNv-R-WzZUpaLQcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

I show the part number on that as 7KMJ7. That is the correct riser 1 for a 2 processor configuration, so having the single CPU riser 1 is not the issue.

What do you mean reseating both risercard ? I dont really understand it, you mean un-plug then re-plug the risers ?

Yes, that is what I mean. Take them out and put them back in to make sure they are firmly/properly seated.

The omreport log :

picasaweb.google.com/.../RkFrulKsOQgL2OK2EcHahgcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

picasaweb.google.com/.../YdhPr9lhwD06WgzXbOSj7AcFIIccO9zX6SIfq9DjvwE

What could cause the problem ?

The error is indicating a problem with voltages on CPU 1. The memory controller is part of the CPU. I would try swapping CPU 1 and 2 to see if the errors stay with the slot or follow the CPU. If the errors stay with the slot(CPU 1) then swap the memory in lane A with the memory in lane B to see if the error follows the memory.

The issue can be CPU, system board, memory, or power supply. It is possible that almost any hardware in the system can cause issues with other interconnected hardware, but those are the most common components that would cause this error.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

134 Posts

February 15th, 2020 06:00

i also face similar issue

installed only 1 cpu in CPU1..

and i have riser 1 and 2 installed

the error is the same "The system board Riser cable or interconnect is not connected, or is improperly connected."

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

February 17th, 2020 00:00

Hello there hendranata!

Ok, as stated before, there is a different riser 1 that we woukd install for dual CPU configurations.

So you may always get errors using that riser in a dual CPU configuration.

Riser 1 is mandatory to boot so is required for the POST. So you don't plan to modify this riser, you can update firmware, reaset the risers and clear the hardware log.

Regards.

Regards.

No Events found!