Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2017 23:00

R510 Questions: iDrac Setup, OSMA, vFlash, FreeNAS

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for helping out a complete newbie to server architecture. I'm an experienced custom desktop PC builder for almost two decades, but I recently purchased a used R510 and have realized I have much to learn! This server is being used in my home, not a business setting.

Objectives: 

• Setup remote management, as this system will be headless once installed in a rack
  • Install FreeNAS on mirrored 2.5" HDD's in the internal drive caddy
  • Use all 12 front 3.5" drive bays for 8TB WD Reds, this will be my FreeNAS array

Background:

Here's an ongoing thread I have over at the FreeNAS forums, in case it is useful for reference, or anyone is trying to emulate what I'm attempting and find it useful reading.

Here's a link to my Dell Service Tag so you can see how the server was configured from Dell. 

The server currently is setup in a RAID configuration using the H700 with 10 drives combined into a single virtual drive. That drive has Windows Server 2016 Standard installed and activated on it. There's also an iDrac Enterprise card installed. 

Questions:

• My goal is to place this server in a rack, but still want to keep an eye on thermals, power consumption, software updates and so forth over my home network. Once configured, I want to make the system completely headless.

The system already has iDrac Enterprise card installed, but no vFlash SD card. I'd like to make a backup of the server's current system configuration before I make any changes to it. There are 10 Dell SAS HDD's (lower capacity than the WD Red's I want to use for FreeNAS) currently installed with the RAID config for Windows Server 2016.

• Is there any easy way to export this current hardware configuration via USB thumb drive before I remove all the Dell drives and swap them out with the WD Reds?

I tried exporting the server configuration, but it gave me an error message about needing a licensed Dell vFlash card. I had just a standard SD card in the slot, but the only other option that seemed to be available was export to CDROM, of which there was none attached to the system.

How does one select USB thumb drives as an export destination for server configuration files?

I'd like to save a copy of the current RAID config, plus Windows Server installation information in case I ever wanted to repurpose the server away from FreeNAS and swap out drives to go back to its original Windows Server 2016 configuration. 

How do I setup the iDrac management to use OMSA?

Once FreeNAS (based upon FreeBSD) is installed, I won't have any Windows environment to install Windows-based utilities. Based on my reading (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) OMSA needs to be installed on both the management station (my primary Windows 10 desktop) and on the R510 too, inside of Windows.

Can one take full advantage of the remote management features without having an operating system installed? If so, how does one start to configure this?

I've read that iDrac Enterprise works in a pre-OS environment, which is exactly how I'd want to access it once FreeNAS is installed. What needs to be installed/configured on the R510 to make this happen? What needs to be installed/configured on my Windows 10 desktop to access it once configured, or can everything on the management desktop be done over a web-browser? 

Those are my main concerns right now, and if anyone can point a complete server beginner in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I realize I have much to learn. Thank you for your assistance!

• 

8.7K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 10:00

Hi,

You are going to want to configure the iDRAC through ctrl+E during post to give it an IP address. A static address is recommended so that it doesn’t change. Once this is done you can use a web browser on your Windows 10 machine to access that IP address and you can access a web gui that allows you to monitor and do remote access through the browser. This will work outside the OS or with no OS installed, you just need a monitor for the initial configuration of the IP address.

There is not an OMSA version for FreeBSD/FreeNAS.  

There is not any need to export the configuration prior to replacing the drives since you will creating a new configuration.

FreeNAS may not work properly with an H700. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 11:00

The WD Red is not a good choice for a hardware RAID controller. I'd strongly recommend against using them. The Red's are designed to be used in NAS devices, but throwing them on a hardware RAID controller, under a NAS OS is not what they were designed for. Having a NAS OS doesn't change the disks you use. When attached to a hardware RAID controller, the OS is irrelevant, as the OS does not/cannot talk directly to the disks. You would be better off with a non-RAID controller or getting real enterprise-level RAID drives, certified for Dell controllers.

August 22nd, 2017 19:00

I found a Dell Resource video on setting up the iDRAC:

Worked great, no issues. Thanks for the tips.

Yes, there's no OMSA for FreeBSD/FreeNAS, just wanted someone to confirm what I already suspected.

Regarding the drive configuration, got it. So what exactly does a Dell Server save when you export the configuration file to vFlash or USB? In what circumstances would it be recommended to do so?

FreeNAS is not recommended with H700, and I advise anyone using a H700 to sell it and buy an IBM M1015 or similar LSI card that can be crossflashed with firmware that is compatible with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. I ended up buying a IBM M1015 controller with an excellent history of being stable with FreeNAS.

August 22nd, 2017 19:00

Correct. I wouldn't use the WD Red's with a H700, which is why I will take out the H700 already in the machine and replace it with an IBM-branded LSI card with excellent FreeNAS compatibility for bare drive access. Basically, FreeNAS wants direct access to drives and then creates a software-style "RAID" with all the array, instead of having it controlled by a RAID card. I'm going to pulling out the smaller capacity Dell SAS Enterprise drives that came with the machine and using the WD Reds with the IBM M1015 crossflashed firmware to IT mode for reliability and compatibility with FreeNAS. Hopefully that made sense for anyone attempting a similar config!

No Events found!