Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2013 09:00

R610 Fan Speeds

Greetings Folks..

I have two R610's, one of which sounds like an airplane and the other is as quiet as a normal desktop.

The quiet system runs (idle) at 24C, with fan speeds between 3000 and 4560 rpm.  

The loud system runs (idle) at 18C with most of the fans around 7080rpm.  

Both systems are using the latest versions of firmware and bios.

The quiet one has dual X5570 @ 2.93Ghz and the other has dual X5677 @ 3.47Ghz

My question is, would this difference in CPU make such a big difference when it comes to fan speed?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 9th, 2013 11:00

My question is, would this difference in CPU make such a big difference when it comes to fan speed?

Yes, it can.

The BMC and BIOS work together to control fan speeds. The BMC is programmed to run fan speeds within a certain threshold based on system configuration. A minimal configuration will have a low fan speed minimum, and will increase up and down with system temperature. A maximum configuration will have a higher minimum fan speed.

I don't have access to the exact settings the BMC is programmed for, but different CPUs can change the minimum fan speed settings. You might want to try reflashing the BIOS and BMC/iDRAC, and also clear NVRAM to make sure there is nothing corrupted in memory. If you still encounter the same fan speeds then that is what the BMC/iDRAC is programmed for.

Thanks

6 Posts

October 9th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for your quick response.  I will try clearing the NVRAM tonight.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

October 9th, 2013 23:00

A Xeon X5570 has max TDP of 95W so with x2 CPUs in your server you have 190W consumed much of which is output as heat. A Xeon X5677 on the other hand has max TDP of 130W so with x2 CPUs in your server you have 260W consumed, some 70W more heat output than the other server...

As mentioned the firmware knows what' is installed so compensates for the expected heat output by using a more aggressive fan profile, the downside being noise. It only gets louder as you add more equipment to the server. 

Sometimes i feel if you put wings on it and fully populated with RAM and HDDs, these servers would take off :emotion-1:

1 Message

April 19th, 2014 14:00

Is their anyway i can turn down the speed of the fans? they're a tad loud and i've tried changing it using the BIOS but almost no change.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

April 21st, 2014 00:00

@Plain, unfortunately Dell does not expose the fan profile parameters via BIOS so you have no simple fix.

If your adventurous you can look at these PE 2800 and PE1900 fan mod pages for inspiration and ideas on what you need to consider should you want to make your server quiet.

Do keep in mind that Dell's fan profiles are dependent on the unit being placed in a server room and fed with air conditioned 'cooled' air. If you have your server in an unconditioned space, the fans will obviously spin faster. If you mod the fans and mod the bmc thresholds, you will get a quieter system but you need to be satisfied your solution will not lead to overheated hardware and reduced service life. 

Much easier if you simply buy some earmuffs :emotion-1:.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

May 29th, 2021 23:00

I have two R610s with same X5670 dual cpus.    Fans on one spin at 3000 on 4 and 4000 on other 4.  Fans on home one spin at 4000 (4) and 7000 (4) seems loud.  

Now if I reset the Idrac 6 it will blast the fans at FULL then step them down little by little till they are at 3000 and 4000 (Nice).   But on next boot the setting does not stay and they are loud again and I have to reset idrac to get them quite again.

What is up with this???Top

Anyone know how to make idrac keep fan setting?  Why do I have to reset it to get them quite?

• 

4.1K Posts

May 30th, 2021 17:00

Hello, thanks for choosing Dell. However R610 does not support fan speed control, I’m afraid. It's fully automated. Hope this helps your understanding. Thank you and wish you another great week ahead.

No Events found!