Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 24th, 2011 07:00

R610 Server auto reboot issues

We're having frustrating problems with 2 of our R610's auto-rebooting on us (our new Exchange 2010 servers, which makes the problem worse)

One in particular (recently rebooted 4/14,4/20,4/27,4/29,5/05 & 5/23.

We replaced the system board & risers on 5/05.  I have upgraded the bios to ver 3 and the firmware to 1.7.  These are plugged into pdu's connected to a large ups and the other servers aren't having issues.

Event logs aren't helpful (previous reboot was unexpected-) I've sent dset's to Dell, as well as memory dump files.  These are boot-to-san servers so there are no local drives involved.  I see no related issues on our SAN and had our san vendor look at the logs with me.

I was hoping that the systemboard & firmware upgrade would make a difference.

Any good ideas?

thanks

Jim Tonkinson, City of Rochester

1 Message

January 24th, 2014 15:00

we are having the same issues on 5 of our dell servers. They just reboot and the reason is unknown. We have worked with dell and no real use. Even the firmware and BIOS update are not helping us. Please let me know if you guys find a solution.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 25th, 2014 06:00

If you get no event logs pertaining to this issue generally it is hardware or power related.

Update ANY remaining remaining device firmwares.

Have you swapped out the ram to known good ram?  Could be an intermittent issue with a stick.

Have you swapped both power supply(s) with a known good unit(s) from another 610? Not familiar with the power circuit, there could be an addition circuit between power supply(s) and the motherboard causing an issue.

If you have a VOM multimeter  with a peak hold circuit, you could test the 12v and 5 v legs for minimum/maximum voltages over a few days time. Leads would need to be place at the motherboard connector.

25 Posts

November 11th, 2021 12:00

I had this issue, the solution was: - I forgot to write it down - however it was to stop one of the services.

I seem to think is was the "vss" or "vds" service - but hope someone can confirm this, as i found it here in the Community.

On my R610 the vss is set to stopped and Automatic, and vds is stopped and manual.

No Events found!