Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2012 07:00

R610 rack mounting with skipping gap between servers

We are running out of space in our lab. We have 42 U rack and already have 10 Dell R610 servers rack mounted in it. We have 20 more Dell R610 servers requirement. Can we have total 30 servers without skipping gap between two servers to save space in a single.

Will it create any heating issue or electrostatic problem. Can you please recommend the way how should we mount 30 servers in 42U rack.

Thanks,
Sanjay

• 

8.8K Posts

January 17th, 2012 08:00

Sanjay,

You shouldn't run into any issues with filling the rack up. The unit is designed for that. The units shouldn't overheat so long as they are in a climate controlled environment and have ample ventilation.

The R610 is a 1U system, so you will only be able to get 42 into a 42u rack. 

3 Apprentice

• 

944 Posts

January 17th, 2012 08:00

Sanjay, I am curious, were you told you needed to skip a space between servers? I have not heard of this as a requirement for the R610. I would be more concerened about the room's ability to handle the temps that will be generated by the servers.

5 Posts

January 17th, 2012 09:00

Sorry for the typo i wanted to ask "Rack mounting of R610  without skipping gap between servers ".

Can we add 42 1U servers in a 42U server.

Will it create any electrostatic or damage any components of server like RAM, Ethernet port , motherboard, raid card etc by over heating.

What should be the ideal temperature i have to maintain if stack servers one above the other.

We have 300 racks inside our data center and we maintain the lab temperature between 20 to 24 degrees .

To save lab rack space we are planning to stack 1U,2U and 3U servers one above the others .

Is this recommended to mount servers without skipping the gap between servers ?

5 Posts

January 17th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for replying.

Sorry for the typo i wanted to ask "Rack mounting of R610  without skipping gap between servers ".

Can we add 42 1U servers in a 42U server.

Will it create any electrostatic or damage any components of server like RAM, Ethernet port , motherboard, raid card etc by over heating.

What should be the ideal temperature i have to maintain if stack servers one above the other.

We have 300 racks inside our data center and we maintain the lab temperature between 20 to 24 degrees .

To save lab rack space we are planning to stack 1U,2U and 3U servers one above the others .

Is this recommended to mount servers without skipping the gap between servers ?

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

January 17th, 2012 14:00

I would say yes, mount the servers without a gap. As long as you have hot and cold zones there shouldn't be any issues. Cold zone, cold air rising in front of the rack and only one way to go, through the servers, hot zone, area at back of rack. If you do mount them with 1U between the servers then make sure you fill the space with a blank. This ensures that the cold air can't take the easy route between the servers.

No Events found!