Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2017 00:00

R710 BIOS rev and model information missing

Hi all,

I have purchased a 2nd hand PE R710 and the system looks healthy apart from the following:

I) During POST at the Blue Dell logo screen it says BIOS revision, but doesn't list a rev number

ii) In the web interface for the iDrac it doesn't list the BIOS rev or model information​

I have upgraded BIOS, iDrac and Life cycle firmware to the latest revisions from the Dell website.

The service tag from the chassis identifies the system on the Dell support site as a R710. The service tag is displayed on the iDrac webpage.

l have tried downgrading the BIOS all the way back to 2.3.x, but this has not made a difference.

I am in the process of downloading the latest Dell Server Utility to see if l have missed any firmware updates.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2017 06:00

red_gOOner,

The issue you are seeing is likely due to the server having been an OEM version R710. Which entails it being loaded with a custom BIOS. If the server was at the OEM 2.2.1 and then flashed back over to the standard BIOS, then it will continue to not show the BIOS information. What we will need to do is to

-Flashing the system with the 3.0.0 or later OEM bios update (using /forcetype switch) this will take the system back to OEM status.  

Then 

-Reboot and boot to Windows, run the 6.0.7 DUP, which will then apply successfully and turn the OEM box to Dell Branded, with bios versioning information this time being intact upon reboot. 

After that then you can update the BIOS back up to the latest version as you had. 

Let me know how it goes.

May 9th, 2017 12:00

Thanks Chris, your advice was spot on. Hugs and kisses

1 Message

January 23rd, 2019 20:00

Hi

I have the same issue

the fix works fine...until I upgrade from 3.0.0 to 6.0.7 or 6.6.0.

iDRAC is 2.91 and lifecycle controller is 1.7.5.4

but no way to have the correct bios version showing.

any idea ?

thanx a lot

Gildas

1 Message

October 14th, 2019 10:00

I'm currently faced with this issue and when trying to update the BIOS with "/forcetype" I receive an error that this switch is not valid. How are others updating the BIOS? 

No Events found!