March 26th, 2014 01:00

R710 Battery Alarm

Hello,

Your assistance please:

I have noticed esxi alarm shown repeatedly, indicating a battery problem:

"Assert + Battery failed"

"Deassert + Battery failed"

What is the cause for this alarm?

How can It be fixed? Can it be done while the server runs?

• 

8.8K Posts

March 26th, 2014 06:00

Ibeng,

The first thing I would look at is the driver and firmware revisions on the raid controller. The firmware being out of date can cause false battery errors such as these. What is the controller and OS installed on the server?

Let me know.

13 Posts

March 26th, 2014 09:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your replay.

Running ESXi5.5 with perc5i card.

13 Posts

March 27th, 2014 01:00

..Also, this started a week after I ran a complete OMSA update. Could it have an effect?

Is there a way to analyze online running esxi?

• 

8.8K Posts

March 27th, 2014 05:00

IB,

What OMSA update are you referring to?

I ask as I wasn't sure if you were using OMSA to monitor the server, which would be the way to analyze online.

Here is a walkthrough to install if need be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for installing OMSA on ESXi 5.

This is for the ESXi host.

Download the Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi 5

en.community.dell.com/.../download.aspx

Log onto a Windows machine on the same network.

Type in the IP of the ESXi server in a Internet Explorer window.

Download the VI Remote CLI tool, or Vsphere. Those tools can be downloaded right there from the webpage that comes up.

Installing the offline VIB bundle

Copy the OMSA 6.5 VIB to the ESXi host (/var/log/vmware or /vmfs/volumes/ )

Run the following command from the vSphere CLI prompt:

esxcli.exe --server software vib install –d

Example: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib install -d /var/log/vmwar/Dell_OpenManage_ESXi_OM650-offline_bundle-467660.zip

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: Dell_bootbank_OpenManage_6.5-0000

VIBs Removed:

VIBs Skipped:

Reboot, Check Software > Advanced Settings for UserVars.CIMvmw_OpenManageProviderEnabled should already be set to 1

Verify OMSA VIB on ESXi 5

esxcli.exe --server software vib list

Example:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin>esxcli.exe --server 10.180.57.109 software vib list

Enter username: root

Enter password:

Name Version Vendor Acceptance Level Install Date

---------------------- ---------------------------------- ------ ---------------- ------------

Dell-Configuration-VIB 5.0-0 Dell PartnerSupported 2011-10-05

Dell-License-VIB 5.0-0 Dell PartnerSupported 2011-10-05

OpenManage 6.5-0000 Dell VMwareAccepted 2011-10-05

That installs the server side of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for the workstation -

Download OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node version 6.5 from Dell’s support site (not the OpenManage Server Administrator Web Services under the ESXi downloads)

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.5.0-2247_A01.10.exe

On a separate windows machine install OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node and choose ‘Custom’ install.

When choosing features make sure Server Administrator Web Server is selected (If installing on a desktop it could be the only option).

Once the install is complete, double-click on the server administrator icon.

On the login page Enter the ESXi server ip address, use root for the user, and the root password. Make sure to check the option to ignore certificate warnings.

Done! You should be able to access the OpenManage Managed Node Web Interface.

Let me know how it goes.

13 Posts

March 27th, 2014 05:00

Chris,

1. I used server manager (from boot) to update all drivers with r710 file downloaded from dell website.
  2. OMSA was already installed as you described, but since this is a production server, I must wait for the right time to restart it.

Is there a way to analyze online running esxi? or the next step is only monitoring upon restart?

How would you handle things at this point?

Thanks!

No Events found!