Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2014 06:00

R710 Largest Hot Swappable HD it will support

New to the Group:

I have a Dell R710 Server that I recently setup as a VM Host Server with 2 virtual servers running on it.  I initially setup the server with 6-300GB, 15000 RPM drives and I'm thinking that that will not be enough HD space and would like  to upgrade  to 6-1TB drives.  So I have two questions:

1: The controller inside this server is a PERC6II Controller Card (Dell Part No: T954J).  Will this support the 6-1TB drives that I would like to install?

2: Can I hot swap the 1 TB drives in place of the 6-300GB drives without having rebuild the whole VM environment from scratch.  I’m running VMWare VSpear Client ERE 5.5.

Any assistance would be appricated.

Regards

Ernie

• 

8.8K Posts

November 5th, 2014 08:00

Ehartnett,

With the Perc 6/i being installed in the server the largest physical drive you can install is the 2TB SATA drive (part # 341-9726), which is the largest physical that that controller can use. The 1 TB drives you listed shouldn't have an issue. Although it is highly suggested that you recreate the Virtual Disks with the new drives, you can rebuild each (so long as replacements are SAS) drive to replace. The issue with this is it doesn't add the additional space to the existing VD, it places it outside,  you will have to configure the additional space into another VD. Here is where the risk comes in, with doing it this way there is a chance, in the event of a HDD failure, that that new space created outside the original VD may cause issues, or not be accessible. Hence the reason we suggest the supported path, which is far more stable.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2018 11:00

I have an old R710 (Perc 6/I) in my company and i want to make it useful as another Storage for backup. Recently we purchased ten 2TB Seagate Firecuda. This HDD will work in this cenario?
No Events found!