Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2013 02:00

R710 and R610 memory upgrade and speed

Hello, 

we're going to upgrade the RAM on our VMware hosts, that are a mix of R710 and R610 servers.

We need to have 16 GB modules in order to reach the amount of memory we need.

We already asked Dell Italy for the spare parts but they say that although the memory modules exist, they ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK BY DELL.

Some questions:

- Is it really true that there are actually no 16 GB modules guarateed to work with those systems (@ 1333 Mhz), or are they wrong here in Italy?

- I know that there is a limitation on the system memory speed at 800 Mhz at certain conditions (memory ranking, ... and so on); what is the BEST combination of MEMORY SIZE and SPEED? I would not like to buy the memory and have a system with 40% slower on the memory throughput.

- I found this memory. Given the description I expect they SHOULD work, but at 800 Mhz, right?

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KTD-PE313Q8LVK3/48G

Thank you for any help!

Kind Regards,

• 

8.8K Posts

April 11th, 2013 09:00

That is correct, with single or dual rank dimms, using all 3 dimms in the channel results in 800mhz.

With you wanting to use 8 dimms, you will need to populate as follows to get the 1333.

A1, A2, A4, A5 as well as B1, B2, B4. and B5. That is with the memory mode in the BIOS being set to Optimizer.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 11th, 2013 07:00

Adrianot,

I am not certain why Spare Parts said that. If you order dimm part number 317-6142 it is compatible in either system.

In order to limit any issues and support the large dimms, you need to update the BIOS and ESM/Drac to current.

R610 BIOS - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r610

R610 ESM - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r610

R710 BIOS - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r710

R710 ESM - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-r710

Let me know how it goes.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi Chris,

and thank you for your quick answer!

So, if I am right, I could buy those RAM modules and be SURE to have them working after upgrading the BIOS and ESM/Drac.

Last question is about the resulting speed of the system.

Based on this reference:

www.dell.com/.../server-pedge-installing-upgrading-memory-11g.pdf

I see the following:

If memory modules (DIMMS) with different speeds are installed, all DIMMs will operate at the speed of the slowest installed DIMM. 

Also, if any DIMMS (regardless of speed) are installed in the third bank (bank C: slots A/B 7, 8 or 9), the maximum system memory speed will be 800MHz. This is the current maximum frequency supported by Intel and Dell, when DIMMS are installed in slots 7, 8 & 9.

We are going to populate the following slots:

a1,a2,a3,a4  

b1,b2,b3,b4 

Do you think that we could still have memory speed issues or as we expect, we'll be able to get full 1333Mhz speed? 

Thank you again for you kind help!

Have a nice day,

3 Posts

April 11th, 2013 09:00

GREAT! Thank you Chris for the great support.

October 22nd, 2013 09:00

*erased*

Nevermind, The manual I read was updated and new one states as mentioned here.

No Events found!