Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2021 15:00

R720 GPU installed, PSU blinking amber

So as I was able to find, installing GPUs will require the riser and the kit and the whole nine yards.

I got the 1100W PSUs, I updated bios, updated iDRAC to latest versions.

Installed GPU and used the riser power cable to do it. I enable power to the machine and there it is, blinking amber light. If I disconnect the power from the GPU, even without completely removing it, the system works just fine. Power back to GPU? Machine won't even start. iDRAC is still accessible through the network but that's about it, it just refuses to boot and nothing regarding the issue shows on any logs. 

When I go to power configuration, the system is capped at 461 watts for some reason. The input wattage is over 1200w and output (of PSUs) is 1100w. There is more than enough for them to work properly. 

Why is power capped at 461 when I have two 1100W PSUs? 

I reset iDRAC to default twice and it is still capped at 461 and the machine refuses to boot only when GPU power is connected.

August 27th, 2021 12:00

So i decided to order the very cables that were designed for it, the ones you mentioned because I had a hunch that despite the CPU cable working on my desktop, the server environment will not recognize it. So even though the machine booted up normally, it was still a problem.

Got the cable, just installed it, and it worked even on Windows 10 (didn't need server version).

You're a legend. 

I'll post another update once i get the other riser cable to replace the one i burned (don't ask why, i did something dumb knowingly and the result was as expected). I'll get it soon and I'll install the other K80. 

October 9th, 2021 10:00

Ha Ha, "I am Legend!!!"  Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Sorry for the delayed response, as I was out on the road working, but I'm back at home now.

Currently unboxing a half dozen R720's I ordered so I can try some new stuff.

Glad it all worked out for you.  Since we now know that the cable actually worked, can you post the Dell part number of the cable for everyone?

Did you get the other riser card, and how did that work out?

1 Message

September 26th, 2022 15:00

Hi @OldSchoolAdm1n perhaps you can help me out as well. I recently bought a used PowerEdge r720xd server that I planned on adding a NVidia 1080GTX to it so I can pass it through to VMs. However, the same as the OP I'm running into the same issues and I'm thinking it's a power cable issue. I bought the below because I was certain it would work but of course it doesn't. Do you have any other suggestions on what cable I should buy to get this working?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193444216118

September 28th, 2022 19:00

Hi Delooz,

The cable that you listed is the exact cable that I ended up going with after I finished experimenting with this K80 project and cleaned everything up and racked them.

However, this cable does not match the connector shown in the spec sheet from nVidia for your GTX 1080.

I grabbed one of my cables just to verify, and they are different.  Look at this screenshot and compare to yours.  Pay CLOSE attention to the pin SHAPE and LOCATION.

GTX 1080.png

September 28th, 2022 19:00

I just went and checked, just to verify, that it is showing the same exact 8-pin connector as my K-20s and K-40s.  Do some checking in that direction and see what you find.  I would expect that the original nVidia GPU cable from Dell for the R720 would likely be the one you need, just disregard the 6-pin plug.  Unfortunately, all of mine are in operation, so I can't get a pic, but there should be plenty on ebay I would think.

1 Message

September 6th, 2023 21:35

@OldSchoolAdm1n​ is there a link to the cables?

No Events found!