Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 4th, 2017 05:00

R720: LCD frozen

Hi to all

I have an r720 with lcd stuck showing the user defined string

I'm unable to use the arrow buttons and even from the idrac im unable to set something else

Only the ID led is working

Additionally, i think that im also unable to fetch power usage properly, its stuck on 182W with no changes from yesterday and the second PSU (powered up) is rated at 0 amperes

The idrac is working properly, i was able to set an ip and access the web interface

Should i check something? Is this critical or can i live with this ?

• 

6.2K Posts

February 4th, 2017 15:00

Hello

The idrac is working properly, i was able to set an ip and access the web interface

That does not prove that the iDRAC is working properly.

The LCD output and power monitoring and management are both controller by the BMC/iDRAC. I suggest that you update the iDRAC firmware and system board BIOS. If they are already up to date then drain flea power. If the issue persists then reflash the iDRAC firmware.

Also, if you have installed hardware into the system that is not validated or is faulty it can cause odd issues. Removing those items and taking the system to minimum-to-POST is a basic troubleshooting step for almost any hardware issue.

Thanks

93 Posts

February 4th, 2017 23:00

I've rebooted and upgraded the idrac

Now i'm able to see updates in power usage and even the LCD seems to work again, from the idrac i'm able to change the LCD text (previously, changing the LCD text from the gui still shown the old text, now i can see the new one)

I have to check if LCD buttons are working properly

Some questions:

1. The second PSU still show 0 ampere as power usage, on other servers i have values like 0.2 (most power is coming from the primary PSU)

2. After idrac reboot, the storage section lost connection to the controller (while the hardware inventory shown properly disks and firmware) an error saying that no out-of-band disks were found was shown. After many minutes, maybe 15/30, this section starter ti work again. Is this normal? Some minutes are required after the reboot?

Is these something to bè aware of? It's a production server, i cant reboot it and i dont want bad surprises

• 

6.2K Posts

February 5th, 2017 08:00

1. The second PSU still show 0 ampere as power usage, on other servers i have values like 0.2 (most power is coming from the primary PSU)

That is normal

2. After idrac reboot, the storage section lost connection to the controller (while the hardware inventory shown properly disks and firmware) an error saying that no out-of-band disks were found was shown. After many minutes, maybe 15/30, this section starter ti work again. Is this normal? Some minutes are required after the reboot?

Yes, that is normal. The process to bring the server online from a complete power down is to connect power for at least two minutes to allow hardware like the iDRAC/BMC to come online. After about 2 minutes you can power on. If you reset/restart the iDRAC some features may not work properly until the system is restarted. It sounds like everything eventually started working again for you.

Thanks

93 Posts

February 5th, 2017 08:00

I dont think everything is working again because the detected room temperature read by snmp is 18°. The upper server is reading 21/22

No Events found!