Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2014 18:00

R720xd Fans insanely loud, running full blast

My R720xd is running all of the system board fans at full speed continuously.

On powerup, the fans bump to high speed for a second, then settle down to reasonable speed, and stay at reasonable speed during POST, right up to the point where iDRAC initializes, at which point they all kick up to full speed, and stay there. From that point on, the fans go full speed. Nothing short of a reboot or shutdown will stop them.

I'm not exaggerating even slightly. The fans run at 17,000 RPM, 24 hours a day. It's so loud it can be heard through the walls on the other side of the building.

There is no OS installed on this machine.

I've upgraded to the latest firmware, tried changing the performance profile in the bios, and tried the whole hold down the power button while unplugged thing as well.

There's no possibility that it's overheating. Inlet air temp is 22 degrees, exhaust is 27, CPU temps are 35-40 degrees.

I've found other references to people having similar problems with R720s, but there doesn't seem to be any single common cause for it.

Any suggestions?

November 25th, 2014 13:00

Just wanted to follow up on the resolution to this issue. The firmware and hardware configuration were fine, the problem ended up being a defective motherboard.

Dell sent a tech to replace the motherboard, and once that was done, the fans were running normally. The tech said that he's seen this several times, and replacing the motherboard is the fix.

Hopefully this will help someone else.

Thanks to Chris and the other folks at Dell for working through this.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 7th, 2014 04:00

NCHostMaster,

Sorry to hear about the fan issues. Could you verify a couple things for me? First,  what is the version of the iDrac firmware you updated to, as well as the model of processor you have installed? Second, if you access the BIOS and go to System Profile settings, is C1E enabled or disabled.

Let me know what you see.

November 7th, 2014 06:00

iDRAC Settings Version 1.60.60.02
iDRAC Firmware Version 1.57.57 (Build 4)

The current system profile is set to Performance per Watt (DAPC), and in this profile C1E is enabled.

When I run the Fan test under system diagnostics, the fans change speed, going to around 8000 for the low speed test, and 12000 for the high speed. But at the end of the test, when it says "Returning fans to normal" they go back to 17000 RPM.

November 7th, 2014 06:00

I'd also like to know just how bad it is for the fans to be running this fast all the time. It can't be good for them.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 7th, 2014 09:00

If you disable C1E do the fans return to normal? Also, what processors are installed?

November 8th, 2014 10:00

I have tried changing the system profile to disable C1E, but it had no effect on the fans.

The CPUs are Xeon E5-2697 v2 @2.7ghz

November 12th, 2014 09:00

I've made a variety of changes to CPU performance settings and performance profiles, but I'm still seeing the same fan problem. I have also tried removing and reseating all of the fans, just in case.

November 12th, 2014 17:00

I'm also seeing another problem. The server is shutting itself down sometime during the night. The server appears to be off, but the power button will not power it back on. The only way to get it to come back on is to unplug the power supplies for several seconds, then plug them in again.

The first time this happened I thought someone had just powered off the machine due to the noise, but it's now happened twice. It seems likely that these issues are somehow related. I'm starting to think I have defective hardware.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 13th, 2014 05:00

NCHostMaster,

Could you run a Dset report on the server? You can find it here - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=97DH6&fileId=3396745439&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-r720xd&languageCode=EN&categoryId=DI

After that forward the resulting .zip file to me via a reply to the email I am sending you.

Thanks

November 13th, 2014 09:00

I've emailed you the DSET report, and some info on a service request opened through chat about this same issue.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 13th, 2014 13:00

Could you resend it? I never received it.

November 13th, 2014 13:00

Resent with extension on zip file changed.

• 

8.5K Posts

November 14th, 2014 05:00

Still nothing. I created a dropbox for you. I will Private Message the site and credentials.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2019 08:00

I started having the same issue with my R620 after tweaking the BIOS settings (QPI speed was at 7.2 instead of the maximum 8.0 MT/s, also turned on Dell Turbo something or other). 

Looks like this is the issue: dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/R720XD-iDRAC-Thermal-Settings-not-saving/td-p/6028821

Changing the Thermal settings in iDRAC settings in the BIOS resolves the issue, so the temp sensors are good, but upon rebooting, when it gets to Initializing Firmware, Thermal settings are reset to "High Offset". That link above suggests wiping BIOS and iDRAC settings via the Lifecycle Controller's Repurpose System option. 

... And that fixed the issue for me. I had to go to iDRAC Thermal settings in BIOS and set one last time.

1 Message

December 29th, 2021 18:00

my friend thank you, when i say the other person talking about a motherboard replacement that freaked me out. I did what you said reset the iDRAC and my fans are normal not super loud

Thank you again

No Events found!