Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

January 15th, 2020 21:00

R740 GPU - Bricked PCIe card from PCIe/ATX power?

I've got a PCIe 3 card, 8x, that has a 12V ATX power tab on it for extra power. I popped it into one of the slots on the riser, then connected a Dell R740 GPU cable which had a 6 pin PCIe power connector, to the PCIe card, which also had a matching 6 pin, albeit, as it now turns out, a 12V ATX 6 pin.

So, i think i've fried this card now. When booting the server, i got 2 warnings;

UEFI60 - Power required exceeds the system PSU's
UEFI77 - PCIe device error on previous boot

I have dual 1100w PSU's installed, so that's not an issue. I've tried the card in a normal PC on windows and no joy there either. So, i assume the card is now bricked. Thinking it all over again, it looks like a fed a riser 225W power supply into this card expecting 12V. So, my questions are these;

-Would the MB have fed just 12V from that connector and I'm just unlucky and got a DOA card?
-Did this power surge brick the card?
-Seeing the above errors makes me think it's bricked. Would this damage anything else, like the risers or the PCIe slot??
-Would this power surge affect anything else in the system?

• 

3.4K Posts

January 16th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

The cable that you are mentioning, does it have the PN#TR5TP? If yes, the power should be 12V. Though there are some requirements with installing GPU into R740, you can refer to it via the user documentation. 

I do not have a definite answer if the server power has bricked the card.

If you have removed the card from the riser and the server is able to POST, means there is no issue. Though, to be thorough on damaging other components, do a hardware test from LCC to confirm no issues. 

4 Posts

January 16th, 2020 19:00

Thanks for your quick reply Joey. To be clear, the unit is the GPU R740, with the low heatsinks. I have 1x GPU (RTX 2080) in and working already, it's just this video card that's got me scratching my head. It's an AJA Kona5;

-28W typical, 35W maximum via ATX power.
-PC Internal ATX Power Connector (Molex p/n 45559-0002)

The machine boots without it in (and with it in). I'm not near the chassis today, but pretty sure i used PN#TR5TP (supplied in the box) and it fit perfectly. Looks like i've done everything correctly, but something triggered these 2 events and it's definitely related to this card install. Are there some BIOS settings i need to tweak to control the power draw etc?

UEFI60 - Power required exceeds the system PSU's
UEFI77 - PCIe device error on previous boot

I'll run an LCC just to triple check there are no issues. I do have another box and card (2 units of both) to build, so i can test with this other card to see if i got a DOA unit, but don't want to run into the same issue twice!

4 Posts

January 20th, 2020 21:00

Ok, got the AJA card into another PC, added ATX power, left the case off and saw the power lights go on, after the fuse point on the card. It was then seen by the software in that PC and i was even able to update the firmware.

Back to the R740. Without the AJA card in, it looks like error "UEFI0077 - PCIe device error on previous boot" is related to the nVidia ELSA RTX 2080 Ti, but it still boots and works with drivers from ElRepo (CentOS v7.7).

With the AJA card back in, connected to the same power cable (confirmed PN#TR5TP) as before, i still get the message "UEFI0060 - Power required exceeds the system PSU's", so this power issue message is related to the AJA Kona5. However, this time, CentOS see's the card and everything is happy. I've got one more identical machine to build, so will see what happens this time around. Any idea why the R740 thinks it's drawing too much power? The AJA card has a fuse on it, so that would have blown had it been the case.

• 

3.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 22:00

Hi,

I have just noticed that there are some requirements for R740 to install GPU, which need GPU enablement kit, https://dell.to/2sTy89o.

I am unsure if that will make a different in the power related issue, but the kit seems to have alot of components.

• 

3.4K Posts

January 29th, 2020 01:00

There is power information in iDRAC but it only shows the server power consumption. 

4 Posts

January 29th, 2020 01:00

I've got all the kits needed for GPU's.

Looking at the ram/processor config i've got, i'm pretty sure that i'm drawing more than 1100W. Is there something in the BIOS to tell me what power the system needs, vs what it's getting?

No Events found!