Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 1st, 2018 12:00

RAID CONFIGURATION PERC S100 SERVER POWER EDGE T310

Hi Everyone

I have a server Power Edge T310 with RAID PERC S100, and I want to upgrade HDD size, so I am wondering if I can make a RAID 5 with:

- 2 HDD'S 2TB SATA 3,5 7.2RPM

- 2 HDD'S 1TB SATA 3,5 7.2RPM

Can I combine those hdd sizes (some of 1TB, others with 2TB)?

Right now I am using RAID 1 with just 2 HDD'S of 1TB, but I want more space. So i don' know if make RAID 5, or make RAID 10 and lose a half of space.

If It's possible to combine HDD sizes, how much space will I lose?

Thanks.

11 Posts

August 1st, 2018 12:00

Hi Everyone

I have a server Power Edge T310 with RAID PERC S100, and I want to upgrade HDD size, so I am wondering if I can make a RAID 5 with:

- 2 HDD'S 2TB SATA 3,5 7.2RPM

- 2 HDD'S 1TB SATA 3,5 7.2RPM

Can I combine those hdd sizes (some of 1TB, others with 2TB)?

Right now I am using RAID 1 with just 2 HDD'S of 1TB, but I want more space. So i don' know if make RAID 5, or make RAID 10 and lose a half of space.

If It's possible to combine HDD sizes, how much space will I lose?

Thanks.

August 2nd, 2018 10:00

Hi Cesitar021,

As you may already know, PERC S100 is a software RAID controller.  It supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5 and 10, but it does not have any advanced functionality, such as caching or a dedicated processor(s) to perform the RAID algorithms.  All RAID transactions are performed by the system's CPU, which may degrade the system's overall processing power, when higher level RAID are utilized.

Currently you have two Virtual Disk arrays that are at RAID Level_1

VD_0 - RAID_1 - 2 x 1TB HDDs (usable raw space 1TB)

VD_1 - RAID_1 - 2 x 2TB HDDs (usable raw space 2TB)

Your question: Can I combine all 4 HDDs in a RAID_5 or RAID_10, how much space will I loose?

>You can created a RAID_5 with a mixture of 1TB and 2TB drives, but the RAID will be with the lowest drive capacity

VD_0 - RAID_5 - 2 x 1TB and 2 X 2TB (usable raw space 3TB)

VD_0 - RAID_10 - 2 x 1TB and 2 X 2TB (usable raw space 2TB)

Dell KB Understanding Hard Drive Types, RAID and RAID Controllers on Dell PowerEdge and Blade Chassis Servers:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln129581/understanding-hard-drive-types-raid-and-raid-controllers-on-dell-poweredge-and-blade-chassis-servers?lang=en#2

Hope this helps

11 Posts

August 4th, 2018 17:00

Hi, 

Ok, but I do not understand why I get 2tb space in RAID 10, I think I should get 3tb because I am installing 2 hard drives of 1tb and 2 hard drives of 2tb., I know we got half capacity (total space:6tb, usable space(half):3tb?

Can you double check please? Or Maybe If I make a 2 RAID'S 0 (HDD 1TB+HDD 2TB) and then you create a RAID 1 from those RAID 0?

So I know I get a little bit more space using RAID 5 than using RAID 10, so why do I get lower capacity than RAID 10?

Which one do recommend me for my server PowerEdge T310, where you only can install up to 4 HDD of 2TB?

In order to make RAID 5 or 10, do I need to buy a RAID card to connect them all together if right now I just have RAID 1? 

Thanks

No Events found!