Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2011 11:00

Recently added DRAC5 card doesn't show up

Hi - I have a PE2900 that's been in production about 3 years.  I'm going to be using the server for a new project, and decided to install a DRAC card.  I got one at a discount on a DRAC5 card as a "new pull".   When it arrived, the cables were the wrong length, so I had to order the proper cables for a PE2900 - this proved to me that it did not actually come out of a 2900, but it's a DRAC 5, so it should still work fine, right?

Here's what has happened - I installed the card, and when the POST begins, it says that there are 2 Xeon processors, etc., and below that it says "Remote Access Controller Detected".  THen, it continues the POST process, and after it displays the RAID controller information, it waits for 40 seconds, then displays information about the "Base Management Controller".  I pressed Ctrl-E anyway just to try and configure it, but it looks like the system is responding as if it only has a BMC controller, although ti does show that it has detected the DRAC at the beginning of POST.

Once the system comes up, I can go into Server Administrator, but it still only seems to detect a BMC.

I have updated the BIOS, but nothing else so far.  I haven't tried to update any firmware in the box.  Am I missing something?  Is there something else I should have to do to "disable" the BMC, and cause the system to use the DRAC? 

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 15:00

Disconnect power, removed the drac, clear the NVram by moving  the jumper to the nvram clear position as shown in the guide link below. Then reconnect power, and power on the system with the jumper in the nvram clear position. Let system boot some of the way, probably to the Cntrl E screen, then power off. Disconnect power cables, restore jumper to normal position, and then install drac. Attach power cables, and wait 1 minute before powering on the system.

support.dell.com/.../jumpers.htm

3 Posts

June 27th, 2011 06:00

Hey, thanks for the suggestion - this server is currently in production, so I'll have to find some downtime to try this out.  I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks!

j

3 Posts

July 4th, 2011 09:00

Thank you!  This process worked like a charm!

No Events found!