Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2016 16:00

Reported fault on every SATA drive when connected to a Perc 6/i raid controller

I recently purchased a Dell R710 (service tag ) that came with a Perc 6i integrated raid controller.

I also purchased 6 (Dell Certified 1TB Enterprise SATA 3.5") hard drives, (WD1003FBYX-18Y7B0) that came with a SATA HDD Tray cady. http://goo.gl/jwalpE

Some time after booting, every drive caddy starts flashing and I get the error message "Fault detected on drive" for each drive. After rebooting and pressing ctrl+r when prompted, then pressing ctrl+n to view physical drives, it says that there are none.  I have tried  reseating everything: the drives, cables, back pane, raid controller, and riser cards with no luck. 

If it helps any, the raid controller firmware version number is 6.3.3.0002
and I am waiting for a new battery for the raid card. 

Is this a problem stemming from a malfunctioning raid battery, or is there a way to test if the problem is a bad raid controller, back plane, or cables.  It doesn't seem likely that both cables would go bad so maybe its not the cables. 

• 

6.2K Posts

September 15th, 2016 18:00

Hello

Is this a problem stemming from a malfunctioning raid battery

No, the battery is not required for operation. The battery is only used to preserve cache in the event of sudden loss of power. Caching will be disabled by default if the battery is not functioning.

I would suggest testing a single drive in slot 1. If the system has not been functional in this configuration then the correct parts/cables may not be installed or may be installed in the wrong slots. Try to locate the part number on your PERC and search online to see if it is the integrated or adapter version. It should be the integrated version of the PERC6i, and it should be installed into the storage slot.

If everything is installed correctly and you have already reseated then you will not be able to determine where the fault is unless you have parts to swap with. If you do not have parts to swap with then you will be replacing most likely components until it starts working.

Thanks

No Events found!