Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 19th, 2017 04:00

SATA disk problem on poweredge T310

Hi there.  This is m first post.

I'm not an experienced administrator. I've done MCSE for Windows NT 4.0. but that was a long time ago.

Now I've bought mself a second hand T310 just for learning a new server system.

I've downloaded the 180 days evulauation windows server 2016 standard edition.

Installing it was not easy. i had to download the RAID HD drivers first in order or win server 2016 to recognize them.

During the BIOS setup I wiped the HD and created one phsical disk in the RAID Array. I have onl RAID 0.

Ater that win server did see my harddisk and the installtion itself wasn't that difficult.

I had one sata disk (Seagte 1Tb) left, and connected it to one of the internal SATA ports.There was one power connector left.

But now during startup it shows: WARNING: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive on port F of the Serial ATA controller is operating outside of normal specifications. It is advisable to immediately backup your data and replace your harddisk drive b calling your support desk or Dell Inc.

Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the system setup program.

But the hard disk just shows normall in this setup. It sees a "known"device a Seagate 1 Tb drive.

What does this message imply ?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 19th, 2017 12:00

I'm not an experienced administrator. I've done MCSE for Windows NT 4.0. but that was a long time ago.

Installing [2016] was not easy. i had to download the RAID HD drivers first in order or win server 2016 to recognize them.

This process is NOT new. In fact, this process was even MORE prevalent 15-20 years ago.

During the BIOS setup I wiped the HD and created one phsical disk in the RAID Array. I have onl RAID 0.

Server 101 - never use RAID 0 unless you don't care about the data or what the server is doing.

You said you configured the first disk in RAID 0, but then the second you are seeing in F2? Hook up the second disk the same as the first. If you care about the setup/data, then put them in a RAID 1. If not, then do another RAID 0 with the second drive on the RAID controller. 

There is the possibility that your disk is bad.

13 Posts

November 19th, 2017 23:00

Hello flash.

Yes , I'm aware of RAID 0 having no fault tolerance. the data is not important. The server was just for testing purposes.

I don't have 3 disks, otherwise i would use RAID 5.

Could I insert the s-ata disk together with the one existing SAS disk on the SAS backplane ?

After completing the windows server i found that the harddisk was previously mounted in a linux system.(ext4 filesystem)  I did a "long" format on the drive within the diskmanager in computermanagement. And it now "recognises"my s-ata disk

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 20th, 2017 07:00

Yes, you can mix SAS and SATA on the backplane.

13 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 04:00

I bought the Y690k Power sata cable or T310. with this cable i can use 4 sata drives connecting to the mainboard (instead off the PERC H700 controller).

But this power cable uses the 6 pin power connector from the power supply.

Since there's only 1 connector. It has to be connected to either the backplane OR the Y690K power cable.

I thought I could use the sas backplane AND power for the sata drives on the mainboard, but that's not the case.

So in my opinion the 4 remaining sata ports on the mobo are useless.

It seems ridiculous to use those ports and connect them through another power supply.

I suppose Dell doesn't have some sort of power splitting cable ?  I am not even sure the existing power supply   (360 W) can deliver enough "juice" ..

No Events found!