Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

December 5th, 2016 08:00

Server not booting stopping on BIOS error message

UEF10060 – Power required by System exceeds the power supplied by the power supply units (PSP).

After pressing F1 to continue the server boots AOK and the iDRAC reports AOK on the power supplies. So I don't believe the error message is accurate.

I've 2 servers (possibly more) with the same symptoms.

• 

8.5K Posts

December 5th, 2016 12:00

Kuelmapp,

The error you are seeing isn't stating that there is an issue with the power supplies, but that the hardware installed is asking for more power than the power supply can handle. Did you add anything to the server, such as additional dimms, or processors since seeing the error appear? If so then that is likely what pushed it over the limit. If you let me know the server model and watt power supply installed I can let you know the options.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2016 02:00

Hi Chris  here are the details:

Dell R730
service tag HDCLQ52
2 x 10G-PCIE2-8C2 Myricom dual port 10 GbE
2 x Emulex LPe16002B, Dual Port 16Gb Fibre Channel HBA, Low Profile

My point is I don't think it is over the limit, but this error is being triggered regardless and stopping the server from booting. The PSUs are only running at about 20% when the server is up and running, so why there would be a big start-up increase makes me suspicious that the error is accurate.

Thanks for helping - P

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 6th, 2016 13:00

Make sure power settings in the BIOS are not set to "Power Saver" and are set to "Performance".

• 

8.5K Posts

December 7th, 2016 06:00

I agree with Flash, verify the power supply is set to Performance. You may also want to make sure that the server is up to date and current on the BIOS, iDrac, and Controller as well. If need me there is a 2000w power supply you can upgrade to as well, part J5WMG.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2016 02:00

The server is up to date firmware wise, well as of about 3 months back when I produced a R730 update CD to baseline all 15 of the servers we have. Incidentally most do not suffer from this issue.
I will now go and check they are all set to "Performance" hopefully via iDRAC, if it is only listed in BIOS then it may take a while to check as they are all in service.
I've also now raised a formal support case for this, so will keep you all informed as this progresses.

P

1 Message

April 11th, 2019 00:00

dear sir, 

I have also the same issue, I checked everything I didn't add anything additional. I'm using DELL POWER EDGE R330 V3 server, please help me to solve the issue. 

sam. 

January 15th, 2021 07:00

I know this is an older thread, but bumping it because we have just started experiencing this lately.

So far, I've seen it on three PowerEdge R630's.  It seems like the system reboots for a windows update overnight, I come in the next day, and the server is sitting at the screen saying:

UEFI0060:  Power required by the sytem exceeds the power supplied by the Power Supply Units (PSUs)..  Check the PSU and system confguration and then upgrade the PSU, if necessary.

There have been no hardware changes to the systems, and the only other changes have been software updates from Microsoft.  I've seen this happen over the course of a few months, so I can't pinpoint a specific Windows update that does it.  

We have R620's, and R640's in our environment as well, I haven't encountered any of these having this issue.

I have followed some of the advice above, but I do not see a "power saver" mode in the bios.  I see Profiles, and we have them set to "Performance", but nothing specifically spelling out power saver mode.  

Are there any other suggestions?  

Power supplies are part number 05RHVVA00 in one of the servers, running FW version 00.24.7A.  I was not able to locate any firmware on the dell site for R630's for this specific PSU.  Maybe if there is something out there newer than what we have, that is the problem?  Can someone recommend or assist?  These servers are out of warranty, so I'm trying to figure out what is causing this.

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

January 15th, 2021 12:00

Millertime-FL,

The error is caused when the hardware installed and/or the load of the server causes the power draw to above the capability of the power supplies. What I would suggest is to start by verifying the BIOS and iDrac are up to date, then if needed minimize the hardware, such as memory, to see if that alleviates the error. Also could you confirm your settings in System Profile Settings in the BIOS.

Let me know what you see.

January 18th, 2021 04:00

@Dell-ErmanO 

iDRAC is up to date, it has been running at 2.75.75.75 for quite some time.  I am able to move past the error screen, simply pressing F1 has fixed this issue.  However, my concern is that we have seen this on a few of our Dell PowerEdge R630's recently (all running same hardware configuration, BIOS / FW versions), so I am trying to figure out what is causing this issue.  All of these units are a few years old, but I find it unlikely they are all experiencing hardware failures.  

Is there anything else I can check or test in order to try and narrow this down?  It just seems unlikely that all 3 servers would have one or multiple hardware failures such as RAM, PSU, etc.  This only seems to occur when the server is rebooted for a Windows Update, but not every single time and update is applied.  

@DELL-Chris H 

BIOS and iDRAC are up to date, to verify, I ran the latest Server Update Utility (December 2020), the only updates applied were for the NIC, and the RAID controlller.

I'm not sure what you meant in your previous post by "minimize the hardware such as memory, to see if that alleviates the error".  Unless you are saying I should start removing pieces of hardware such as a stick of ram, a proccessor, etc. to see if we can narrow down a bad component.  

Lastly, you asked about the System Profile Settings in the BIOS, here is what I've got:

System Profile - Performance

CPU Power Management - Maximum Performance

Memory Frequency - Maximum Performance

Turbo Boost - Enabled

Energy Efficient Turbo - Disabled

C1E - Disabled

C States - Disabled

Write Data CRC - Disabled

Collaborative CPU Performance Control - Disabled

Memory Pat_rol Scrub - Standard

Memory Refresh Rate - 1x

Uncore Frequency - Maximum

Energy Efficient Policy - Peformance

Number of Turbo Boost Enabled Cores for Processor 1 - All

Number of Turbo Boost Enabled Cores for Processor 2 - All

Monitor/Mwate - Enabled

• 

2.2K Posts

Hi,

Systems profile settings seems good to me. If there is no additional hardware or PSU failure then it may related power budgetting inventory. It is managed by iDRAC. Could you check iDRAC version if it is older than this please first update iDRAC 2.75.75.75 https://dell.to/39GXPvh

Afterward please reboot the iDRAC and warm reboot HOST and I expect it will resolve specific timeout condition leading to this error. If problem persists please reset iDRAC and reboot HOST again. Reset for iDRAC https://dell.to/35QHKC0

Hope this can help!

• 

790 Posts

January 18th, 2021 05:00

Hey there,

if Erman's steps did not solve the issue at all it is very likely that one of the PSUs is causing this error.

Anything PSU specific in the server logs?

Something like:

2019-12-19 23:42:27

UEFI0060

Power required by the system exceeds the power supplied by the Power Supply Units (PSUs).

2019-12-19 23:42:27

PWR1006

The system halted because system power exceeds capacity.

2019-12-19 23:49:50

PSU0800

Power Supply 2: Status = 0x9, IOUT = 0x0, VOUT= 0x0, TEMP= 0x0, FAN = 0x0, INPUT= 0x38.

2019-12-19 23:49:58

PSU0003

The power input for power supply 2 is lost.

If yes, you should replace the faulty PSU.

Here is an article giving some options on how to gather logs:

https://dell.to/2NhHvcL

BR
Stefan

• 

8.5K Posts

January 21st, 2021 11:00

Did you ever reduce the hardware installed to see if the error stops? When I referenced that in the previous message regarding the memory, I meant removing some of the dimms to lower the load on the server to see if that clears the error. Also could you clarify how much memory is installed, as well as what size power supplies are installed?

Thanks.

January 25th, 2021 04:00

@DELL-Chris H 

The server was able to boot just by us pressing "F1", so it isn't in a "down" state or anything like that.  My concern is that we have had three of these servers (All R630's) have this happen within the past month or so.  I know for a fact that they aren't spec for spec the same, but similar.  I do know that one of them has 750W PSU's, and the other has 495W PSU's, both running the latest BIOS / LCC firmware.  

To answer your question though, I did not reduce any of the memory or anything, because I was able to get the server up and running. I'm just trying to investigate what is causing this, as one of these happened at one of our customer sites.  

• 

790 Posts

January 25th, 2021 04:00

Hi.

The message behind UEFI0060 is: Power required by the system exceeds the power supplied by the PSUs. Continuing to restart the system may automatically turn off the system without any notification.

Did you upgrade components on the systems? 

Are they connected to the same UPS?

Any thresholds set in iDRAC?

BR

No Events found!