Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2017 19:00

Support of "Memory I/O larger than 4GB" and Phi

I recently purchased an Intel Xeon Phi (KNC), and want to purchase a used Dell server to experiment with it.  It is very difficult to determine which servers support BIOS configuration of "Memory I/O larger than 4GB".  Is there any Dell documentation that can help me with this?  Support for plugging in the extra power connectors would be good as well, ie. do any servers have headers that will let me plug in the two extra connectors directly via a cable.  None of my current Dell servers seem to support this feature.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 24th, 2017 09:00

Hello.

I am not aware of any Dell Server platform that may support this feature for your experimentation.

April 24th, 2017 16:00

While I appreciate your willingness to address my question, I was hoping for a more authoritative response.  Someone at Dell should understand this topic.

Since posting my original question, I have identified at least three or four Dell Servers that, in some configurations, support this feature:  C4130, 6320p, and possibly R730, or T630.  The C4130 is very expensive.  The others slide up and down the price scale.  It is not clear whether the R710 or R720 support large BAR with updated BIOS's, etc.

www.dell.com/.../2016-06-20-dell-launches-new-high-performance-computing-systems

www.dell.com/.../489-bbbz

What is not clear is whether all configurations or only some support the Xeon Phi products.  I currently own approximately fifteen Dell servers, and have a number of laptops.  I prefer Dell to HP, however, if necessary, I can pursue them.  I have four or five HP servers.

Dell should document this topic better.

No Events found!