Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2013 13:00

T105 no power and steady amber LED on motherboard

I have a PowerEdge T105 that is only lightly used but has been switched on almost continuously for 4½ years. Yesterday it suddenly powered off and won't turn back on again. There are no lights on the front or back. The only light is an amber LED on the motherboard close to the power supply unit which is continuously dimly lit (not flashing). Am I correct in thinking it's a faulty power supply unit, or could it be much worse such as a BIOS/motherboard failure? If it's the PSU, can I buy any generic PSU to replace it, or do I need to buy something specific to this range or model?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 16th, 2013 16:00

Hello nfh

It sounds like the system is not getting enough power. The most likely part would be the power supply unit, but it could also be the power distribution board built into the system board. I would suggest toggling the voltage switch on the PSU to make sure it didn't move out of the 115v selection. Also, reseat the cabling and try another power cord. If the issue persists then I would look at swapping components.

This is the part number for the PSU: NH493

Some of our PSUs have extra connectors that make them proprietary. I'm not sure if this one is proprietary. I would suggest reviewing the specs and connectors to make sure they match any other PSUs you attempt.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 16th, 2013 23:00

Thanks for the quick and informative response and in particular for the part number which is very useful indeed. The voltage is correctly set to 230V for the UK, and I've tried setting it to 115V and back to 230V. I've also tried an alternative power cord, but it made no difference. It sounds 90% likely that a replacement PSU will fix the problem. Is my understanding correct?

5 Posts

January 17th, 2013 00:00

Had similar issue with PowerEdge 6650,PSU replacement solved the problem.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 09:00

It sounds 90% likely that a replacement PSU will fix the problem. Is my understanding correct?

I'm not going to throw a percentage out there, but yes the PSU would be the first component I would replace. It would be the most likely culprit. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

5 Posts

January 25th, 2013 11:00

I finally obtained a replacement PSU (for GBP 40 when the original T105 server cost only GBP 117.50 in total) and it solves the problem. Thanks to all for the useful replies.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2017 01:00

Just over 4 years later, I am experiencing this problem again with exactly the same symptoms described above. I ordered a secondhand replacement PSU on eBay but it didn't solve the problem this time. Although the eBay advert mentioned NH493, the model number printed on the PSU is L305P-03. Unlike the NH493, it doesn't have a voltage switch, although it does support 100-240V and 50-60Hz. All the connectors are the same as the NH493.

Could the replacement PSU be incompatible with my T105? Or is it likely to need a new motherboard this time?

2.9K Posts

March 11th, 2021 10:00

Good morning,

If you'd like assistance troubleshooting this server, we can certainly help with that. A new server may also be a good choice, depending on what your requirements for the system are. You might look at the T140, which would be a modern equivalent to the system you have now. If a new system is more what you're inclined to look at, this may be the best place to start.

5 Posts

March 11th, 2021 10:00

Four years later, and the same PowerEdge T105 has a new problem. The system powers on for one second and then powers off. There's a steady amber LED on the motherboard again. Sometimes the power button flashes amber. Sometimes I can get it to boot up for up to 5 seconds, but then it powers off again.

I've twice replaced the power supply (see above), but only with secondhand replacements, which is all I can find. It seems that the power supplies are unreliable and don't last for more than four years.

Is it time to buy a new server? I paid only GBP 200 for this one in 2008.

No Events found!