Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2015 11:00

T20, Win 7 - Missing "SM Bus Controller" and "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" in Dev Mgr

I'm running Win 7 x64 Ultimate on a new PowerEdge T20, base model.  I had a license for Win 7 so I installed it.  The system disk is a RAID 5 array of 3 x 120 GB SSDs, and the 4th SATA port runs an HDD that provides additional internal backup.

The thing works spectacularly well for its purpose as an SVN server - it all works - but I'm following up on a couple of small mysteries...

In the Device Manager, I see two devices listed in the "Other devices" category where Windows apparently failed to find a driver:

Since I am successfully able to monitor things like motherboard temperatures, and also to read/write USB devices from both the USB2 and USB3 ports, this seems just academic.

Should I seek drivers for these things, or just ignore this?

-Noel

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 31st, 2015 18:00

SM BUS CONTROLLER CONFUSION = Your Bad you did not install CHIPSET DRIVERS.

This specific Device manager error Goes all the way back to WIN2000 and carries forward all the way to Server 2012.

Server 2003 DRIVERS ARE XP DRIVERS.

Server 2008 Drivers are VISTA/WIN7 Drivers

Server 2012 Drivers are WIN8/WIN10 Drivers.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 22:00

One reason you might install an "older" driver, is because the latest/greatest generic driver may not work on the OEM implementation of a device. If you have problems with the native or generic drivers, then try the Dell drivers, even if they are older.

I'm assuming you installed this driver:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VX800

May 31st, 2015 19:00

Thanks.  I thought it might be something like that.

But now I'm in a bit of a conundrum...  It works perfectly.  My dear old Pop taught me, way back when, "if it works, don't fix it" - yet this is nagging me.

Since it's fully up to date do I chance wrecking something by installing drivers that may be dated older than what Windows has found itself online?

For Win 7 x64, would you say these are the proper chipset drivers, then?

Intel Chipset Device Software Driver

-Noel

May 31st, 2015 20:00

Update:  Was able to resolve the SM Bus issue with the chipset drivers found at the link I noted above.  But the USB Controller driver still appears missing.

I'd rather not mark any answer until I can resolve the second issue.

-Noel

June 3rd, 2015 23:00

>http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VX800

No, somehow I had missed finding that driver set for the USB interfaces before now.  Thank you for that link, theflash1932!

Between the link I published up above solving the SM Bus issue and this driver set, I seem to be in business.  No more devices are coming up unknown, and the USB ports work great.

Thank you both!

-Noel

No Events found!