Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 13:00

T320 idrac 7 web interface stops working via 443 after a few days

Hi guys,

I have a T320 with an Idrac7 express card installed.  The web server works locally on the server itself, or on the local LAN.  It also works externally over the WAN via https, but only for about 24-72 hours, then it just stops working.  If i then login to the server and do a reset it starts working again. The last thing I did in troubleshooting the issue was to  update the idrac controller to the latest firmware, reset it to defaults, and then reconfigure from scratch.  I also updated the lifecycle controller to the latest firmware.  I know the server has a very old Broadcom LAN driver that I'm going to look at next.  In fact I'll probably boot into the lifecycle controller and try updating anything that needs updating. 

• 

6.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 14:00

That's correct.  The web interface pulls up just fine locally on the lan/server itself.  I just reset it a moment ago and it's working just fine again via the public IP address (port 443 is forwarded to the server).

This doesn't sound like an issue with the DRAC. This sounds like an issue with the port forwarding. The next time it stops working test connecting via https locally. If it works locally then you should troubleshoot the method you are using to forward from the WAN to the LAN.

Hi Daniel,

That's correct.  The web interface pulls up just fine locally on the lan/server itself.  I just reset it a moment ago and it's working just fine again via the public IP address (port 443 is forwarded to the server).

• 

6.2K Posts

If it's an issue with port forwarding why does it start working right after the card is reset?  

I don't know enough about your switch/router to say. Based on the 24-72 hour period it sounds like it could be a caching issue. Restarting the DRAC and having it redetect on the switch/router may be causing it to perform a cache flush. That is only speculation though.

Hi Daniel,

Sound good.  I'll try that next.  I have an identical T320 accross town hooked to the same Comcast gateway/firweall, using the same port forwarding and it hasn't had any issues.  It's using the same iDrac 7 express card with newer drivers for LAN.  If it's an issue with port forwarding why does it start working right after the card is reset?  

The only difference in the setup besides newer LAN drivers, is that the customer who is having issues doesn't have a static IP from Comcast (it hasn't changed for months though) while the other has a static. 

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello

It also works externally over the WAN via https, but only for about 24-72 hours, then it just stops working.

Are you only losing the connection on the WAN? Are you still able to connect to the web GUI on the LAN?

Thanks

October 5th, 2013 18:00

Hi Daniel,

So I setup a custom SSL port in the idrac - 424, and setup port forwarding to that port in the Comcast SMC gateway.  Like usual, I had no problem accessing the idrac for a couple of days, then nothing.   I also tried to ssh into the idrac via port 22, but it wasn't having it.  I logged in remotely to one of the other workstations on the LAN and was able to connect via https without any issues.  I then logged into the SMC gateway/firewall.  I disabled, and re-enabled the port forwarding to the idrac.  No dice - still not working externally via the WAN.  I went and enabled the DMZ using the ip of the idrac.  Now the Idrac was available remotely again.  I went back in and disabled dmz, and then all of a sudden port forwarding was working again.  No issues accessing it/logging in remotely.  Same with SSH - it started working again.  Maybe enabling the DMZ is resetting a portion of the router that stops working?  Not sure why resetting the idrac would result in the same fix?  It sounds to me like we have a defective gateway? 

So to summarize, resetting the idrac, or enabling/disabling the dmz on the smc gateway will cause everything to work correctly.  I think we need to ask Comcast for a replacement?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 5th, 2013 18:00

Yeah, the issue is definitely somewhere with that router. I suspect bad cache. I would let Comcast know that port forwarding stops functioning after a couple of days, and let them know the methods you are taking to get it to function again. I would let them know you suspect a memory or caching issue. They are the experts on their product and should be able to determine the best resolution. I agree with you that the router will likely need to be replaced, but I will defer to Comcast to make that decision.

Thanks

No Events found!