Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2010 10:00

Trying to shut down ESXi 4.1 w/Dell UPS and NMC

I'm trying to integrate a Dell K802N UPS with Network Management card into our VMware vSPhere 4.1 environment.  I first had trouble when the NMCs would not respond to SNMP probes, but I fixed that with a firmware update.

I have followed all of the instructions in Ch 7 in the manual about configuring with ESXi.  The problem I am having now is that, when I test the UPS by removing power to it, the VMA detects the battery is on and helpfully shuts itself down but my Windows guest and the ESXi host stay up.  Win guest has VMware Tools installed.  The IP of my ESXI box is in the VMwareESXHosts file.  I've installed the software and started the agent.  I've discovered and added the UPS via CuiManager.  I've run the 4 shut commands with the IP address of the UPS.  The manual is weak and there are no troubleshooting cases.  I spent a week with Dell level 1 support for my NMC SNMP problem (that I ended up solving myself) and they are, shall we say, less than educated on the product they are charged with supporting.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?  I don't even know what to look for here.

October 29th, 2010 13:00

OK, I have found the definitive solution to my problem.

For the record, the Dell software for controlling a UPS in conjunction with ESXi 4.1 & VMA 4.1 DOES NOT WORK.  It will only support VMA 4.0.  The software is based on William Lam's GhettoUPSHostShutdown PERL script, and he has said that the API changes VMware made between VMA 4.0 and 4.1 break the script.  Guest will not shut down nor will the host.  Paul Knight has hacked up a solution that supposedly works with 4.1 but Lam has not had time to validate it.  For the adventurous, you can try the Paul Knight updated script here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-13815

William Lam's original solution can be found here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11902

44 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 05:00

Hi There,

I have an updated beta script which will work for 4.1 but unfortunately I don't know how to upload a file to this blog.  If there is a way please let me know or give me your contact details and I will send the script directly.

Andy

November 3rd, 2010 06:00

Wow, that would be great if you could mail that to me.  Eaton support (the people that OEM the UPS for Dell) aren't saying anything about 4.1 support when I specifically asked, and Dell UPS support is just completely clueless.

My email address is <ADMIN NOTE: Email address removed per Privacy policy>

9.3K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 07:00

My email address is ...

You'll want to edit out your email address or an admin may edit it for you, or possibly delete your whole post.

13 Posts

March 8th, 2011 13:00

Eaton won't support you but I have modified LAM's scripts to work with 4.1 to include two pages of documentation.

Please go to http://communities.vmware.com/thread/305596?tstart=0

Everything now shuts down gracefully.

Regards,

Michael Ceccanese

5 Posts

January 26th, 2012 07:00

An update since this posting. Dell launched a new generation of UPS management software late last year. The new software focuses on vitrualized environments and integration into VMware vCenter and Micsoft SCVMM. The two components of the software are Multi-UPS Management Console and UPS Local Node Manager.

Download software at:  

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Dell Multi-UPS Management Console (MUMC)

Remote monitoring and configuration of multiple UPS* and ULNM agents from single interface or VMware vCenter

Access to critical Dell and other UPS information across the network

Integrates with virtualization hypervisors to manage multi-host virtualized installations

Triggers migration applications to transparently move virtual machines

Enables safe shut down of servers even in clusters running vCenter

Simplifies software and power profile management

Supported languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Czech, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Traditional and Simplified Chinese

Dell UPS Local Node Manager (ULNM)

Graceful shutdown of computers, VMs/servers

View power status and manage shutdown configurations

Supported languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Czech, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

No Events found!