Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

June 19th, 2018 02:00

USB 3.0 not recognized by R730

Hi all,

i have a power edge R730 where USB 3.0 are not recognized by the lifecycle.

the IDRAC and the BIOS are up to date

USB 3.0 is enabled under BIOS

tested with 3 USBs on different ports

USBs are good known USB

USBs are not detected on the media list while trying to deploy OS from the lifecycle

USBs are not recognized when trying to update firmware from lifecycle

USB 2 works fine.

thank you in advance.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 19th, 2018 07:00

Youssef_souhail,

The R730 3.0 USB ports are only on the internal port and the 2 ports on the rear of the server, the remaining ones are only USB 2.0. Also USB 3.0 needs to be enabled in the BIOS as well. You do this by accessing the system BIOS - Integrated Devices - then change USB 3.0 Setting to Enabled. 

Let me know if that is enabled and if you're using one of the 3.0 ports I specified.

June 20th, 2018 23:00

Hi Chris,

i am using the ports no the rear as the one on the front is 2.0, and as i said the USB 3.0 settings are enabled under the BIOS but they are not recognized under the lifecycle.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 25th, 2018 10:00

What is the OS you are trying to install? As the process is different by OS. If you follow this link it will lead you to a walkthrough involving the USB 3 driver in for the install. I think the issue you are seeing is due to the Lifecycle Controller not having the driver. I would recommend updating with the Lifecycle Controller OS Driver pack, and then follow the steps on the link I provided for installing the OS. 

October 17th, 2019 10:00

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to share that I have now encountered the same symptom under the following conditions:

Two different Dell PowerEdge R230

Two different USB 3.1 Samsung FIT Plus 64GB drives

Symptom:

1. Attempt installation on USB3.0 internal port; does not show up in BIOS boot order list along with other drives
  2. Attempt installation on rear USB3.0 ports; same thing
  3. Attempt installation on front USB2.0 port; shows up fine

I can also verify that on one of the R230's I fully updated the iDRAC/Lifecycle Controller to the latest as of last week but without a change in the symptom.

I also verified that all the USB ports are enabled.

No Events found!