Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2014 02:00

VRTX, OOB and iDrac

Hi,

I have a VRTX system with a coupe of M520 blades but having issues accessing the iDRAC and Remote console.

Mid plane, main board and CMC have all been replaced and flashed to newest versions, onboard switch also replaced.

Initial fault was that we could not see the Idrac/remote console or ping in/out from the onboard switch. But, we could connect other devices to the onboard switch and those would talk to each other and also the external network, they could not ping CMC/Blades or onboard switch IP.

After all the parts were replaced, a Dell engineer modified the switch via remote session and set it to have an IP number assigned to the Vlan rather than the OOB. The OOB is no longer in use as the engineer delibrately changed the IP number to be un-usable.

The engineer claims that you cannot have the OOB on the same subnet as the CMC/Switch/Blades. Is this true or is he just giving us a workaround (a poor one at that) rather than fixing the actual fault?

So, I have a nice large server in a remote location that we cannot access the Idrac or remote console of it's blades.

Any advice?

Many thanks

Scott

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 28th, 2014 09:00

The engineer you spoke with on the phone is correct.

The switch supports an Out-of-Band (OOB) port. This port is used for the
management network.

The IP address assigned to this port cannot be assigned to the in-band ports
at the same time. In addition, the OOB port has a default IP address assigned
to it: 192.168.2.1 /24. This default IP address is used when no other address
was assigned (dynamically or statically). This subnet is a reserved one and
cannot be assigned on the in-band interfaces.

April 30th, 2014 03:00

Hi there,

thanks for the info. I am confused though.

We are setting a different IP address for the OOB, but on the same subnet. Is that acceptable or does it have to be on a completely separate network.

If so, that seems a touch restrictive, many small companies that would like to use this hardware would likely have a flat network with a single subnet so they would be in the same situation.

This does not explain the lack of access to the iDrac/remote consoles.

We have 2 other VRTX systems in use that do not have this issue.

Thanks

Scott

April 30th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

I have set IP numbers on the idracs on the same subnet as the CMC and blades, but I cannot access or ping them. I can ping them from the CMC terminal via PuTTy, but once I connect to the switch (still in PuTTy) I cannot ping them.

The OOB has a non-functional IP number set (192.168.2.1) so we are using in-band to access the idracs.

When you say "If using the out-of-band management port", what do you mean? There is no physical port for the OOB. The CMC has to be on the same subnet/network as the main switch/blades etc. as we have a single subnet/flat network. Are you suggesting that the OOB port is disabled within the switch config?

Many thanks for your time.

Scott

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 07:00

The OOB port is designed to be physically separated from the in-band network. If using the out-of-band management port, it is strongly recommended that the port be connected only to a physically isolated secure management network. Traffic received on the OOB port is never switched or routed to any in-band port. Likewise, traffic received on any in-band port is never forwarded or routed over the

OOB port. With the intended design of the OOB port, the port should be on a separate subnet from the in-band ports.

I may be misunderstanding some things from your original post.

Are you trying to access the iDRAC through the OOB port?

Once the IP address/subnet was changed on the OOB port, were you then able to access the iDRAC?

The other two CRTX systems, how are the IP schemes on them? And are you accessing them through in-band management or OOB?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 08:00

I apologize about the confusion, you are correct there is not a physical OOB port on the VRTX. However the same principal still applies, the in-band and out-of-band management IP addresses cannot be the same or on the same network; this results in the out-of-band IP address not being set.

With the OOB connection aside, you should be able to connect to the iDRAC from in-band network. I would try starting from scratch with the iDRAC configuration. Select “Reset to Default” on the main iDRAC7 Configuration Utility, then reconfigure iDRAC IP address as required. Once the IP address has been set, i would test by trying to ping from a workstation to the iDRAC, see if it has any different results than pinging from switch to iDRAC.

A couple other things we can check:

use command racadm getniccfg, to verify the config.

Verify “VLAN Enable” is OFF under “LAN Parameters”.

Verify ‘IPV4” is ENABLED under “LAN Parameters”.

9.3K Posts

April 30th, 2014 10:00

The VRTX's built in switch has an OOB port that is connected to an internal (non-manageable) switch that has the 2 external CMCs ports, the switch OOB port and the DRAC ports connected to it.

These are designed to allow putting them on an isolated management network, but you can easily also put them on the same network as the 'regular' ports on the switch. There is just 1 gotcha; if you give the switch OOB port an IP, you cannot give any other vlan on the switch an IP address in that same subnet. So if you want to do routing (really the only reason to set an IP on a vlan on this specific switch), you'll have to manage in-band and not assign an IP to the OOB port of the switch (but the rest of the ports on that micro switch will need an IP).

1 Message

October 29th, 2015 10:00

I know this is an old thread but I am having troubles and this appears related.  The OOB and in bound are on the same subnet as there is not another option in this lab.  I have tried taking the OOB interface down and also assigning the initial 192 address.  I am still not able to get an IP for Vlan, Ports (external or internal).  I have tried assigning via cli to use DHCP and then show ip interface and left with the results.  In my results below I had reset the switch after trying various things.  The IP result is the same regardless of steps to exclude OOB.  What am I not doing correctly here?

IP Address I/F Type Status
------------------- --------- ----------- -----------
0.0.0.0/32 gi2/2 DHCP Not
received
10.x.x.x/16 oob DHCP Valid

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2015 13:00

The OOB cannot have an IP address in the same subnet as in band. In the output you provided it looks like the OOB has snagged an IP address from DHCP, meaning the switch cannot accept an IP address from the same subnet for interface gi2/2. I would resort the OOB port back to a static IP that is not in your 10.x.x.x subnet. Then issue the following command on interface gi2/2.

console# renew dhcp interface gi2/2

That command should initiate a DHCP request.

No Events found!