Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2019 02:00

Windows server 2019 not recognizing 1 NIC port

Hello all, 

So I am running a Dell Poweredge R430 in it I added a NIC: BRCM 10Gb BASET 2P 57406 Adptr with two slots.

First I had an installation of hyper-v server 2016 which recognized both slots of this NIC without any problems. I decided to upgrade to Windows Server 2019 and since that moment 1 of the slots is up and the other doesn't show a MAC adress anymore:

Name                      InterfaceDescription                    ifIndex Status       MacAddress             LinkSpeed
----                      --------------------                    ------- ------       ----------             ---------
SLOT 1 Port 1             Broadcom NetXtreme E-Series Dual-por...       3 Up           00-0A-F7-A5-AE-A6         1 Gbps
SLOT 1 Port 2             Broadcom NetXtreme E-Series Dual-p...#2      11 Not Present                            0 bps

I've tried to upgrade the drivers and firmware to the following versions.

Family Firmware Version 20.08.04.04
Family Driver Version 20.6.123

And in the ILO it says strangely enough that the OS status is operational:

OS Driver State Operational

(on the old firmware/drivers it was not operational)

TLDR: New NIC, 1 port is working, the other is not. According to the DCA administrator both lights are blinking so it should be ok.

Anybody any ideas what else I can do or what can be wrong?

Thanks in advance

• 

8.8K Posts

March 26th, 2019 06:00

Jay05555,

The updates you show don't look correct. 

The 2019 Broadcom driver is 21.40.17.70

The 2019 Broadcom Firmware is 21.4.1

Try running those and see if the issue clears up. 

Let me know what you see.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2019 09:00

Ok, so I actually have three identical servers with the same issue. As suggested I updated the firmware and drivers on all three servers with varying results: Server:-----Status:---------MacAdress Server1: Not present - none Server2: Not present - Macadress available! Server3: Up -Macadress available! So this fixed it for server 3, not for the other 2. Any ideas?

5 Posts

March 29th, 2019 08:00

So I managed to get the NIC's working by updating the BIOS, updating the firmware<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>And uninstalling the drivers reboot, and install the drivers again. A re-install did not do the trick. Thanks for the help!

• 

8.8K Posts

March 29th, 2019 08:00

Is server 1 and 2 up to date on their bios as well?

April 3rd, 2019 13:00

Hi all,

I've a similar issue with three Dell PowerEdge R440.

All these Servers have Windows Server 2019 Datacenter installed.

I've spent hours to contact Dell Support today. But actually I have no solution.

There are two Broadcom dual Port 10GbE adapters in every server.

PCIe Slot: BRCM 10GbE 2P 57412S Adptr

NIC Mezzanine (LOM): Broadcom Adv. Dual 10G SFP+ Ethernet

2019-04-03_22-01-22.png

I can successfully connect through the adapter in the PCIe Slot. But both ports of my LOM Module are showing up as disconnected in Windows. For test purposes I've booted the system with a Ubuntu Live image. I can use every 10GbE Port inside Ubuntu without any problems. So i think there must be a driver problem in Windows.

BIOS Version installed: 1.7.0

Network Driver installed: 21.40.17.70

Network Firmware installed: 21.40.20

I have also re-initialized the network card drivers with netcfg -x. Without success.

Thank you very much.

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 04:00

Did you ever resolve this problem? I am currently facing the same issue with the same hardware. Thanks in ad

July 30th, 2019 19:00

@Stoeffel2002

Were you able to resolve the issues with your Broadcom 57412S NIC's?

1 Message

December 22nd, 2019 13:00

I also contacted DELL but after a few days they gave up. It seems to be a known issue, in our Case with Cisco Nexus Series 9 Switches.

Dell recommended to Disable Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) and set to 10G Full Duplex.

What helped was installing OS with a 1G NIC and later switching to the 10 G NIC setting the NIC to "10 G Full Duplex" in the "Speed & Duplex" Setting of the NIC. Didn´t help doing this on the switch.
I tried some other stuff, trying to set the autonegotiation to 10G in PXE, but this never worked.

Broadcom 10G sucks the same as Intel 10G, they also have other issues with S2D, they recomended us QLOGIC

1 Message

December 9th, 2020 04:00

We battled with this precise problem for a good 12 hours, but managed to find the solution.
We must use a very specific driver (link below), which must be installed from within windows not via the lifecycle controller but firstly, we had to ensure the latest chipset driver was installed for 2019 LTSC.  We obtained this via the the normal Dell Driver download site.  If you used the lifecycle controller to install the OS, this is likely a optional step. 

The driver that worked in the end for the network adapters was this one:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dxmpf

Our Setup was a Poweredge R440 Server with Mezz 57416 10Gbe SFP+ into a Ubiquiti XG Switch, connected by Direct Attached SFP+ cables that were coded each end to the appropriate device. We confirmed all cables were working by installing linux and testing the throughput.

The above link contains the following driver:

Driver Date: 2017-07-20 Version 20.6.123.0 NDIS 6.6

- This detail is a result of a powershell command | Get-NetAdapter -Name "Mezz 1 Port 1" | FL

(Obviously the -Name needs to be the correct name of your adapter)

We then also disabled Energy Efficient Ethernet.
We then also disabled Virtual Machine Queues

(We have not confirmed yet if these changes are essential, but were remanence from previous attempts to troubleshoot, as we will not benefit from either setting being enabled, we decided not to test fate) 

If you are using core edition or hyper v server, the PowerShell to accomplish the disabling of the advanced properties is:

Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "Mezz 1 Port 1" -DisplayName "Energy-Efficient Ethernet" -DisplayValue "Disabled"
Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "Mezz 1 Port 2" -DisplayName "Energy-Efficient Ethernet" -DisplayValue "Disabled"

Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "Mezz 1 Port 2" -DisplayName "Virtual Machine Queues" -DisplayValue "Disabled"
Set-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -Name "Mezz 1 Port 2" -DisplayName "Virtual Machine Queues" -DisplayValue "Disabled"

Upon a restart the adapters remained online after loading in the Operating System.
Confirmed working on Windows Server 2019 Standard/DC and Hyper V Server 2019.

We have restarted the server over 15 times since and the adapters remain stable. 

The latest drivers do not work and no driver prior nor higher than this specific driver has worked, trust us, we tried them all so be sure to monitor any windows updates which push out drivers or you might end up cutting off your 10Gbe links... which if you use them for ISCSI could be a disaster. 

I hope this helps.

Dan

1 Message

December 16th, 2020 19:00

The 20.6.123 driver worked on a brand new R540 where the Mezz ports didn't work out of the the box.  Spent hours troubleshooting and trying all the drivers and firmware off the Dell support page. Glad I saw your post and that you linked to this very old 2017 driver.

1 Message

January 11th, 2022 02:00

I had the same issue. NetXtreme E-Series connected by a DAC cable to a Cisco 3850 switch.

Network card's always stayed on "cable not connected".

It was solved by installing the latest drivers AND setting the cards in windows device manager (not the ports on the switch) manually to 10GBit Full Duplex.

No Events found!