Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2011 10:00

Write cache disable on Poweredge with Dell SAS 6/ir

We bought a Poweredge T110 with Windws server Foundation 2008. We are using it as our DC, DHCP, DNS, and file server. I keep getting and event ID 32, Source: Disk. The details say " The driver detected that the device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has it's write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur". The problem is that I cannot disable the write cache on this disk. It is a virtual disk. How can I disable the write cache?

• 

8.5K Posts

October 12th, 2011 11:00

Paristotle,

The SAS 6/ir doesn't support disk caching. Disk caching policy can be modified in the RAID Storage Manager (GUI) and Open Manager Storage Manager(OMSM) (CLI) only. It can't be modified from the CTRL-C user interface or the OMSM (GUI). Do you have either of those installed?

If not then this is the link to the Raid Storage Manager -

5 Posts

October 12th, 2011 11:00

Thanks. I installed the manager and I am able to login to see the virtual disk. At this point I am not sure about how to make my changes and not hose the disk. If I set the "Disk Cache Policy" to "Disabled" under the "operations" tab of the virtual disk will I loose my data?

847 Posts

October 12th, 2011 12:00

You are the first person I have encountered wanting this off on this controller.   :)

It's slow with out it,  I mean really slow.  Be forwarned.   

5 Posts

October 12th, 2011 13:00

Not sure what to do, then. As a DC the write-cache should have been turned off when it was promoted. The errors that I get are regarding that. I can't believe that I am the fist one to run into this. If Dell sells this with Windows Foundation they must all be DC.

847 Posts

October 12th, 2011 13:00

It's Ok, you can always turn it back on if needed.    I'm pretty sure we are talking about the physical drive cache here.

I'd leave it on for the duties you mentioned except file server.   We only use these controllers for O/S, no real data.

As stated you can turn it back on if it proves to slow without it.   Maybe take some before and after measurments.

847 Posts

October 12th, 2011 14:00

By default the physical drive cache is disabled on drives attached to this controller.   It can be tricked into being enabled.   This is the cache I am speaking of.

Maybe the Op and I were not really speaking the same language.  

• 

8.5K Posts

Paristotle,

As the controller doesn't support disk caching then there will be no inherent performance loss from disabling it. Nor will it have an effect on the data. Essentially the setting got enabled, which just causes the error. We just need to disable it to stop the errors, but it isn't actually effecting the controller as the ability isn't present.

5 Posts

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!