Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2016 06:00

iDRAC 7 Enterprise license on a used server

Hello,

We've purchased a 12th generation server, and it turned out to have an enterprise license applied to its iDRAC, however, I just can't seem to get it working. Pinging the iDRAC by its new IP, or the gateway from the iDRAC doesn't work.

I'm confident that the network settings are good, so should be: is the enterprise license somehow invalidated when the previous owner decommissioned the server, and, is there a possibility to get the device working?

Thanks,
Milos.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 11:00

what's the easiest way to tell if the iDRAC enterprise port module is present or not?

I corrected my previous post. It appears the the physical port is part of the module on all 12th generation servers.

If the module is installed but not functional then I would suggest replacing the module.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 15:00

Hello

The iDRAC license is not required for basic iDRAC functionality. The license enables features. It is unlikely that your issue is related to the license.

If the license is not working properly then the dedicated port will not function. Also, even if you have an enterprise license most 12th generation servers require optional dedicated port hardware to be installed for the dedicated port to function. That hardware may not be installed if that port is not functional. I would test with the iDRAC set to shared mode. If it works in shared mode but not dedicated then make sure you have the optional hardware installed.

Thanks

December 4th, 2016 14:00

Thanks Daniel. In that case it sounds like this is a license issue. There is a dedicated port/hardware for iDRAC and it is wired to the switch, and the link is up:

LOM Status:
NIC Selection   = dedicated
Link Detected   = Yes
Speed           = 1Gb/s
Duplex Mode     = Full Duplex
Active NIC      = Dedicated

And other than that, only the primary NIC has link detected. I'll certainly give Shared mode a shot, but before that here's a question:

What happens with the license if I perform a hard iDRAC reset, or, if I reset its configuration?

Many thanks,
Milos.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 4th, 2016 17:00

What happens with the license if I perform a hard iDRAC reset, or, if I reset its configuration?

A hard reset just restarts the iDRAC. If you reset the configuration it might delete the iDRAC license. You should export the license before deleting the configuration.

Thanks

December 5th, 2016 03:00

OK, I've successfully backed up the license, although to a local file system, 'cause exporting to the remote CIFS share didn't work (smbclient didn't complain though):

ERROR: RAC0904 : The remote file location is not accessible or reachable.

May have something to do with the share being either tunneled via SSH, or, for Samba being v3 and not v4.

'till I give shared mode a shot (need the technician to visit the DC for this), I was wondering if the firmware update to iDRAC (any everything else where available could have (temporarily) bricked the device?

This is an R720 server btw, and I updated firmwares via DSU.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 7th, 2016 09:00

I was wondering if the firmware update to iDRAC (any everything else where available could have (temporarily) bricked the device?

Any time you update firmware/BIOS there is a chance that it could render the device inoperable. Since you have several configuration options available that require the iDRAC and enterprise license it is unlikely that the device is inoperable. It is at least partially functional if you have the option to set the port to dedicated mode. If the iDRAC was not functional or if the enterprise license was not installed you would not have the option for dedicated mode.

Thanks

December 8th, 2016 08:00

Daniel, you are correct, the device (partially) works, and I've managed to access it via LOM, configured for my main server access.... but beats me why the dedicated port doesn't work - either way, I need to get it working if I'm to perform an OS installation, since with iDRAC configured in a shared mode, the virtual console depends on the NIC configuration in the running OS - so when the OS goes down, the console goes down, and defeats the purpose of the enterprise license, right?

One other thing I didn't know, is that even LOM needs to be configured (with an IP) for iDRAC to use it - things indeed have changed since DRAC5.

December 8th, 2016 16:00

Nope, I've reset the iDRAC configuration to factory defaults, the license persisted, but still no dice on accessing it through the dedicated port.

I've even tried rolling back the firmware...

December 9th, 2016 08:00

I stand corrected about the Shared mode and its availability when the server is down - it works just fine, except that:

- there's a brief link interruption immediately after the server is rebooted

- every now an then the link drops, but re-establishes quickly

But, the dedicated port still doesn't work.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 08:00

the dedicated port still doesn't work.

Then you likely do not have the dedicated port hardware installed.

Thanks

December 9th, 2016 09:00

I've never seen the server first-hand, but we do have a network port in the back with a wrench pic above it...

Is there anything more to it, or is my DC tech nuts?

• 

6.2K Posts

December 9th, 2016 09:00

Is there anything more to it

Yes, there is an optional iDRAC enterprise port module on most servers. The physical port in the rear is not part of that module. That port is present regardless of whether or not the optional module is installed.

December 9th, 2016 10:00

OK. So for future efforts, and other community members who may encounter this issue, what's the easiest way to tell if the iDRAC enterprise port module is present or not?

Say how to find out using 'racadm', or OMSA?

December 9th, 2016 14:00

Thank you Daniel, you've been most helpful :)

7 Posts

March 31st, 2020 10:00

solved reseting idrac configs....but seems to take a litle longer than normal

No Events found!