Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 10th, 2017 15:00

iDRAC no longer accessible

Hi,

lately  I wanted to restrict the ssh access of my iDRAC 8 to a particular ip. So I thought of:

racadm config -g cfgRacTuning -o cfgRacTuneIpRangeEnable 1

racadm config -g cfgRacTuning -o cfgRacTuneIpRangeAddr 1.2.3.4

racadm config -g cfgRacTuning -o cfgRacTuneIpRangeMask  255.255.255.252

I was logged in as root from two different IPs.

after the statement 

"racadm config -g cfgRacTuning -o cfgRacTuneIpRangeEnable 1"

all of a suddeb the shell of both logins were frozen.

I am no longer able to access the iDrac...

..no SSH, no web based access.

Is there a chance to recover that without rebooting ?

What can be done in order to make it accessible again ?

Is it useful to wait for a few hours  ?

Thanks for your reply !

Best!

Thor

• 

6.2K Posts

October 10th, 2017 17:00

Hello

You should be able to issue RACADM or IPMI commands from the host operating system if you have a management tool installed that supports those commands. You can issue a racadm racreset to restart the iDRAC. The iDRAC is capable of restarting independent of the system.

If the first command you issued was to enable IP range restrictions then it will default to a 192.168.0.* address range. You could try accessing the iDRAC from an IP within that range.

Thanks

October 11th, 2017 09:00

Hi Daniel,

thx for fast answer. So they provided us DELL machine (Poweredge) and put ESXi 5.5 on it. I have graphical user interface in order to be able to administer the VMs. Of course on the same IP like the ESXi 5.5 I have

SSH access. Do you mean this by host operating system ?  Can you get me started how install RACADM or IPMI commands ?

THx!

Thor

• 

6.2K Posts

October 11th, 2017 10:00

ESXi 5.5 on it. I have graphical user interface in order to be able to administer the VMs. Of course on the same IP like the ESXi 5.5 I have

RACADM commands can be issued without authentication by default from the host operating system, but we do not have a RACADM tool for newer versions of VMware. To my knowledge VMware does not have IPMI capabilities native. You could look into the possibility of installing IPMI into the host OS, but you would need access to the host OS. The commands cannot be issues from a VM. Anything aside from the host OS would have to be an authenticated connection over the network.

If you have some way of booting to our Support Live Image you can perform RACADM commands from it.

www.dell.com/support/contents/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/enterprise-tools/support-live-image

Thanks

1 Message

November 22nd, 2017 02:00

Is there an ipmitool equivalent for "racadm set iDRAC.IPBlocking.RangeEnable 0"?

No Events found!