Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2017 00:00

iDRAC offline on VMWare VMHost

We recently had an issue connecting to the iDRAC on our remote Dell PowerEdge R530 No ping / web access, and no MAC address resolution from a local device.

I installed the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) vib on VMWare ESXi 6.0 and could log into it and see the Remote Access configuration and MAC address associated with the iDRAC.

I've done a bit of reading about the racadm cli tool and the ability to reboot or reset the iDRAC to defaults, but what I couldn't find out was if there is any way to reboot the iDRAC remotely via OMSA. I can certainly change the configuration, but how do you reboot it from OMSA?

• 

8.7K Posts

April 19th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

I do not see the option to perform a soft reset from OMSA, only to reset to default, which would not retain the settings. Is the iDRAC pingable? You can use racadm remotely from a windows or linux system or VM to do the reset. 

2 Posts

April 19th, 2017 15:00

The iDRAC is not pingable, thus I can't use racadm -r iDRAC_IP -u username -p password xxx to do anything with it.

Should racadm be able to connect to the OMSA software (either directly on the VMHost or the Server Administrator software running on a workstation)?

Re the reset to default from OMSA, does this also do a soft reset?

• 

8.7K Posts

April 19th, 2017 17:00

I have not found any way for OMSA to send commands to the drac so I do not believe so. 

No Events found!