Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2017 09:00

iDRAC shared network

Hello,

In response to the inquiry about ESXI 6 and LCC, I have a similar question.

iDRAC has been configured, and this would be the first time using LCC. My question is, we have four NICs embedded, LCC takes one of them, so I would presume that this means I would be unable to utilize that NIC for anything else (such as HA, Vmotion etc) as long as it's used by LCC, is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2017 10:00

Hello

Please don't bump old posts that are not related to your issue. Just because the post is about iDRACs does not make it related to your issue or question.

When using a shared network interface the interface is partitioned. You can continue to use the interface as normal in the operating system.

In regard to the post you bumped, the LCC should have its own IP address. Many people use a shared IP across their LCCs, but this is a bad practice. It will be rare that you encounter IP conflicts if you use the same IP on your LCC as other interfaces unless you have a newer iDRAC/LCC that is capable of automatic updates. The IP conflicts will occur more often if that feature is enabled.

Thanks

March 10th, 2017 11:00

I am new to Lifecycle controller so I want to verify how it interacts with the NIC it's assigned to during configuration.

Below are some other forum posts that seem to come close but also sound conflicting. During configuration, LCC gets an IP, from other posts LCC is only active when you load the 'software' for it to run, at which point, I would gather that there would be an IP conflict since the host software (virtual or OS) would have the same IP. I understand I can't assign the iDRAC to LCC and must pick one of the NICs on the server. 

It would seem that LCC only runs when called, and at that point would try to use the assigned IP, but since it's only run as needed, could an IP be assigned to LCC and not to the OS, or use a different IP for the OS as LCC isn't always running?

In the case of using the Dell server as a VM host, perhaps the NIC that the LCC is assigned to, could be a management NIC or failover connection, and what would that affect, since these ports are 'always on'. Does this mean to use LCC I should just buy another network card to have the NIC for LCC?

Dell- Chris H 25 Feb 2014
Bproteau,

You won't be able to use the same as it would cause an IP conflict. You can set it to whichever you like, just make sure it is set to static so it remains the same. Some will actually run the Lifecycle Controller/Drac off of a separate network to increase chances of being able to connect to the server in case of a general network failure. There are several choices like that you should consider when deciding.

5 jan 2017
Hello

shadows1142
Is can be used for remote access to LifeCycle Controller from any computer?
No

The lifecycle controller is a lightweight operating system that runs from the iDRAC. The LCC is loaded on demand, it is not continuously running. The network configuration within the LCC allows it to access network resources for performing platform updates.

The iDRAC can be accessed remotely. Many of the features available through the LCC are also available via the iDRAC. You can read more about the iDRAC and LCC in the manual:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/idrac8-with-lc-v2.05.05.05/manuals

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Lifecycle Controller IP. Is it always active?

March 10th, 2017 11:00

I apologize for the bump, I will start a new post instead.

Thank you for the correction.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2017 13:00

The LCC is continuously running. The resources for the LCC are loaded on demand. The LCC adds functionality to the iDRAC. If the LCC was not running then the iDRAC would not have all features available. The information is not conflicting.

I answered the question in my previous post. Here it is again:

You CAN use the same IP on the LCC that you use on other interfaces, but you SHOULDN'T. It COULD cause an IP conflict. It is best practice that you not use an IP that is already in use on the LCC. We have a feature that allows you to set the network configuration for one time to perform updates rather than have an IP continuously assigned to the LCC. If you attempt a platform update without the network configured it will prompt you to enter the network settings. You should use that feature if you do not want to create additional IPs in your pool.

Lifecycle Controller IP. Is it always active?

The LCC initializes and runs when the server boots up. The network resources for the LCC are loaded on demand.

You already had a thread on this. I moved your first post into its own thread. Please post in this thread and do not create new threads on this issue.

Thanks

March 10th, 2017 13:00

So, short version -

LCC NIC should really just be for LCC as a best practice?

Thanks

March 10th, 2017 14:00

The conflicting part....FYI

The LCC is loaded on demand, it is not continuously running.  - Other post

The LCC is continuously running - Recent Post

The information is not conflicting. - I do believe it is, hence why I asked.

• 

6.2K Posts

March 10th, 2017 15:00

The information is not conflicting. - I do believe it is, hence why I asked.

I can understand how you can find it conflicting, but context makes a big difference. You are quoting a snippet of a conversation in which I was answering questions in regard to the LCC network whenever I told the person that it is loaded on demand. Because the conversation was specifically about the network I did not specify a difference between the LCC overall functionality and the network usage of the LCC.

I hope I cleared up the confusion.

Thanks

March 10th, 2017 16:00

I see where context may make a change, but we'll need to address the network portion more I think.

I gather that the LCC 'service' runs whenever the server is powered on and the LCC 'application' runs whenever the DRAC calls for something that the LCC handles. 

So far I think this is correct?

Working on that presumption, the LCC 'service' should not interrupt any normal network activity on the port it's assigned to, but we do have to assign it an actual NIC unlike the DRAC which uses it's own.

This is the part to clarify. Assigning a static IP to the LCC creates no issue with the 'service' portion of it, but would with the 'application' part IF the IP assigned to the LCC in fact is assigned to something else already (in the OS for instance or presumably on the network as well) so it would seem that -

1. Were I to use say, Windows Server on the Dell, then I could not assign the same IP to the LCC and the OS, that would create a conflict, but only when the DRAC calls for the LCC 'application' to activate or perform some function.

2. I presume I could set the LCC to get a DHCP address, and have a range that's blocked for use in the scope and assign an IP in Windows to the same NIC and not get a conflict which would allow me to use the same NIC even with LCC?

3. In the case of VMware, let's say I configure LCC to have a static IP, AND I wish to use that NIC inside VMware for something non intrusive such as management, or even vmotion since I wouldn't do that all the time, does the LCC 'service' have any bearing on the network other than listening to see if it's called and starting the 'application' which certainly (I believe) would interrupt networking for anything other than the LCC?

This only comes about in the purchase of the hardware if I have to account for one more NIC to accommodate LCC. I would love it if it would work the way I wished, but if not, I do want to make sure I properly spec it. Currently someone purchased us a server with 4 NICs, now in order to use LCC it would appear I have to give one up which would make a difference in how I configure the ESXi environment, so I want to make sure I'm getting the information needed. I apologize if it appears I'm nitpicking but this seems to be (now that the servers are here) a bit necessary.

I hope this clarified what I was looking for, context and all.

Thank you.

No Events found!