Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2018 08:00

iDRAC7 License recovery

Hello,

I've purchased an out-of-warranty R720 for my personal learning homelab, and I see the original manifest included the following: Part number: KV4ND Quantity: 1 Description: SERVICE INSTALL MODULE, IDRAC7, ENTERPRISE, PERP

The physical iDRAC7 is present, but the server has been competently wiped and so the Enterprise license key is not present. I am hoping that the "PERP" in the Description implies a Perpetual Enterprise license for the hardware.

How may I recover the license key?

Many Thanks,

• 

6.2K Posts

December 6th, 2018 10:00

Hello

If you perform a transfer of ownership to get the server registered to you then you may be able to recover the license. Once the transfer of ownership is complete you can contact customer care and request the registration code to add the license to your digital locker. Once it is in your digital locker you can download it whenever you like.

Transfer of ownership requires account verification of the current registered owner, so it is intended to be performed by the current owner. If you are unable to get the seller to perform the transfer or you don't know the required information to fill out the transfer of ownership, the transfer may be denied.

Thanks

3 Posts

December 6th, 2018 13:00

Thank you

I did find the ownership transfer page https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/04#/Identify but I only found the used-ebay specific directions afterwards and realize I did not follow them ("ebay" for first & last name, 99999 as zip code; I put "unknown ebay" for company and 12345 for the zip). 

May I edit the transfer request, submit a better one, or leave the existing request to play out?

Thanks,

Jonathan

• 

6.2K Posts

December 6th, 2018 13:00

Wait on a response. If it is denied then you can resubmit.

3 Posts

January 17th, 2019 19:00

As an update, the Warranty and Ownership Transfer was successful.  Unfortunately I missed the email as it was "From:" and "Reply-To:" noreplay@dell.com and the lack of a traditional "To:" resulted in my spamfilter stepping in.

I am now registering to use Dell EMC Administrative Chat to request the registration key so I can access the iDRAC license, as that appears to be the most suitable link on the Contact Information page.  Is this correct, or is there a different "Customer Care" I should approach?

Thank you,

Jonathan

1 Message

June 21st, 2022 10:00

I know this thread is old, but @Caerdroia were you able to get a license for your iDRAC using the ownership transfer?  I am in the same situation where I bought an R720 on eBay.  Thank you.

• 

3.7K Posts

June 21st, 2022 13:00

Hello Tymarand,

Maybe they can reply to your post about their results.

I'll supply the form you need to do in order to get the server in your name.

Ownership Transfer and Dell Product Registration Guides  describes what to do for third-party purchases.

https://dell.to/3HEVqBI

Ownership Transfer form

https://dell.to/3zS3yNg

Once registered in your name the iDrac license should be listed in your Digital Locker, if you find it there you can save and then upload to the iDrac. You can find details on the digital locker here.  https://dell.to/3OssEqf

In the mean time you could try the evaluation license

iDRAC7 Enterprise Trial License (30 days)

https://dell.to/3HEVtgS

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 07:00

Hi Charles,

I submitted a couple of weeks ago an ownership transfer request for a system I bought from ebay. I did not get any response yet.

Can you help me finding out what is happening, and if it went through why I can't see the license under my digital locker?

Thanks

• 

3.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2022 07:00

Hello,

I recommend submit transfer again, wait about an hor then call into Customer Care and ask about the transfer. Customer Care may need more information.

Thanks

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 08:00

thanks! Can you please share the customer care phone number?

• 

8.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2022 09:00

bWFyY29z,

I believe the number is 1-800-624-9896. Also would you do me a favor and private message me the svc tag, as well as the company name that you are changing the tag to, that way I can verify if it has processed or not.

Let me know.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2022 13:00

Hi Chris

I'm at a loss here... it is been forever since i'm trying to do this ownership transfer and it just seems something impossible to accomplish.

I made an ownership transfer request which was gracefully denied... the 1800 number you gave me connects with a team that doesn't understand what I'm trying to achieve.

Is there anything you can do here to help me get my IDrac license under my dell digital locker?

Really appreciate any help!

thanks

Marcos

• 

4.1K Posts

August 31st, 2022 20:00

Hi, I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about it. This is only between the previous owner and the new owner but no one else. I'm assuming you didn't have enough infomration from the previous owner hence the rejection. Once again sorry I can't be of help this time.

No Events found!