Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2013 13:00

iDRAC7 & Virtual Media

connecting to an R720 via iDRAC7.

I am using virtual console, and trying to map a folder as an image in Virtual Media.

my local path to the folder i want to add as image is:

d:\docs and settings\username\desktop\folder1

when i select add folder as image and browse to folder1, it confirms my request then after clicking yes it fails with:

create image failed.  the image path is invalid.

i cannot figure out what is wrong, read some notes about homepath.  but no further details on how to get it to work?

a co-worker has no issue adding folders from c:\temp

I tried that as well but same error.

any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 30th, 2013 21:00

Hi Rborman,

We have one known issue on this feature as mentioned below.

On Windows operating system, to add a folder as an image using the Virtual   Media, the Desktop directory must be in the HOMEPATH directory. The HOMEPATH   directory may vary depending on the Windows installation, but the images created from the "Add Folder as Image" operation always   reside in the %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\Desktop directory. The HOMEDRIVE must be set to C drive. Otherwise, the operation fails.

When Add Folder feature is used, iDRAC try to create the image on client's desktop folder. And the way iDRAC identify the home folder is "%HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\Desktop ". You can check current setting for HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH by running SET command from cmd prompt. Add folder operation fails if the resulted folder does not exist. You can fix either by creating the resulted folder ("HOMEDRIVE\HOMEPATH\Desktop) or by setting HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH variable as per your client configuration.

990 Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

Just a few questions that may help us help you:

1. What browser are you using?

2. How large is the folder? Has to be less than 2gb in size

3. What firmware level is on the iDRAC 7?

4. Are there spaces in the path as shown above?

Thanks,

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

January 30th, 2013 15:00

A coworker can map the folder using your idrac/system to his folder? Is he using different idrac credentials than you are?

6 Posts

January 31st, 2013 06:00

Thanks, Dell-Shine.  the 1st paragraph i found in idrac documentation but the 2nd paragraph is what i needed to help resolve my issue.  My homedrive was set for "H", i changed that to "C:" and the folder mapped successfully.

No Events found!