Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2015 06:00

m1000e power issue

I have an M1000e chasis fully populated with 6 power supplies. Power supplies 4,5 and 6 report failed.

I have replaced each with another power supply(i have 6 extras from another unit). all report the same failed.

the DC green light does not come on.

Could this be a pbackplane issue? I think the backplane power is split with 3 power supplies on each.

How can I test this further. I've reset the chassis.

Thanks.

• 

8.8K Posts

August 10th, 2015 09:00

SummerSF,

It sounds like you lost the second power supply grid. If one power grid fails, three power supplies lose their AC source, and the three power supplies on the other grid remain powered, providing sufficient power for the system to continue running. Now with you stating that the power supplies aren't showing a "Power Present" green light, it doesn't sound like an issue with the midplane, but possibly an issue with the source power. A couple ways to test this would be to place known good power supplies, as well as cables, in the failed power supply slots. Then instead of plugging the known good cables into your UPS/APC/PDU run them to a known good power source. Then see if it shows the green power present light. Another way to test the slots specifically would be to power down the enclosure and then move the 1,2, and 3 power supplies, with their existing working cables, over to the 4,5, and 6 slots. 

Let me know what you see.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

Chris,

Thanks for the help. I have some brand new P/S coming in. I'll try them and if they don't work I'm leaning toward the grid issue. 

Are they an orderable part? I have a spare chassis, are they easy to take out and swap?

• 

8.8K Posts

August 12th, 2015 08:00

The grid isn't a part, it is the separation of the power supplies into redundant groups. When you use AC redundancy mode you would want to provide power to each grid (Grid 1= PS1,2, and 3 & Grid 2= 4,5, and 6) from separate sources, This will also increase the actual redundancy of the power supplied to the servers.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2015 09:00

Chris,

That is the way it was setup and all of a sudden power supplies 4,5, and 6 are reporting failed. even when i replace them with what i thought were good ones i had on hand. Once  I get the brand new ones i'l try them.

What i was trying to explain was if its not the power supplies what part would need replacing.

Thanks for your help.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2020 08:00

when did technicians stop using DVMs or oscilloscopes?  To see if you've lost AC on a Grid, measure the power coming out the power cord just before you plug it into the power supply. 

4 Posts

April 27th, 2022 04:00

He said that the "DC" lights were out, NOT the AC lights.  He has AC but No DC.

the Mid-plane has to be replaced.

• 

3.3K Posts

April 27th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

this sounds like you need a Hardware replacement.

If you have an active warranty and live in a country with dell onsite engineers we(Dell Support) could replace the needed part when you want.

Did you have any further questions?

Regards Martin

No Events found!