Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2012 09:00

m610x blades not powering up m1000e chassis

Hi.

i currently own a m1000e chassis with 3 half height blades, these are m600 blades, they all run fine, or ordered an additional 3 fill height m610x blades, when i first slot them in they all powered up, however i did not need them as yet, so they have been off for a while now. i now need to prep one of them for a new customer however non of the blades power up, the power buttong blinks green on and off the whole time. i though it could be a power issue, so i power cycled down the other blades and then the chassis, then removed all the blades except on m610x blade and placed it into the first slot, however they the same issue occoured, i then moved it to a differant slot and still the same issue, i then used a differant m610x blade and same issue, if i put my m600 blades in they all pwoer up with no fuss.

any ideas what it could be, i cannot even run diagnostics as i cannot power up the blade, and the chassis seems fine, and when i first got them they all pwered up.

thanks in advance

charles

1.2K Posts

November 7th, 2012 11:00

long shot and just thinking out loud, is all the chassis firmware up to date. The cmc, kvm etc. Maybe the blades powered up and the cmc registered the model and decided they were not supported at the current level of firmware and then disabled them.

Again just thinking out loud and probably totally wrong :-)

5 Posts

November 7th, 2012 10:00

Hi Chris,

thank you for your prompt response, i am in South Africa, so i cannot access the system right now, but i will verify the blades infromation on the cmc tomorrow and will update the post.

question, if i do see the information listed, then what else could it be, and if not then how come the blades did power up the first time.

sorry for the questions, just i know there will be a time delay and i want to try and do as much as possible tomorrow to fix or eliminate as much as possible to ensure that the problem is resolved as quickly as possible.

many thanks once again for the prompt reponse

• 

8.4K Posts

November 7th, 2012 10:00

Charles,

Normally the blade not powering up is due to a mezzanine mismatch or possible due to the power allocation. Since it is doing it when the other blades are out I would look at a mismatch.

Do you see any information about the M610x in the CMC? Such as Health, IO devices, etc?

If you do would you insert a M600 and note what IO devices are listed and what Fiber they are on. Then verify if the 610x has the same listed in the same locations.

Let me know what you find.

5 Posts

November 13th, 2012 02:00

hi,

i have downloaded the latest dell cmc firmware as well as the latest iDRAC for the baldes, however when i try update it the chassis update page shows blank.

attached is some screenshots

thanks

Charles de Villiers

5 Posts

November 13th, 2012 10:00

Hi

i did some research and am now trying to update the firmware using ssh and racadm

i have placed the cmc file plus its signed file into the root directory of an ftp server i created just now.

i ran the command "racadm fwupdate -f 209.212.xxx.xxx <username> <password> -d firmimg.cmc -m cmc-active"

i get this error "ERROR: Unable to retrieve firmware inventory count"

i then created an tftp server and ran the command "racadm fwupdate -g -u -a 209.212.xxx.xxx -d firmimg.cmc -m cmc-active"

but still get the same error

so i tried running a simple command "racadm fwupdate -s -m cmc-active" and get the same error on that too

any idea's

thanks

Charles de Villiers

5 Posts

November 13th, 2012 13:00

Hi

the issue was the firmware. i manage to do a a cmc reset which enables the firmware update option to work on the update page of the cmc url.

thank for all the assistance

charles de villiers

No Events found!