ollie-red
1 Copper

poweredge 2900 degraded link width error

Hi all,

we have here a poweredge 2900 server which halts during the bios checks after a reboot 
with the following error:

degraded link width error: embedded i/o bridge device 1
expected link width is x4
actual link width is x1

There is only one PCIe card (video) sitting in the slots. I've done the following tests:
i replugged the video card, disconnect power cable and wait some time, but nothing helps.

Every hint is welcome

Thanks in advance

Ollie

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dev Mgr
5 Rhenium

Re: poweredge 2900 degraded link width error

That error is most likely related to the PERC5i or PERC6i that's in the server. These use a x4 SAS channel (4 x 300MByte/s) for bandwidth and failover/redundancy. It sounds like something is wrong with the PERC, the cable, or the backplane.

You may want to open a case with Dell PowerEdge support. To be a step ahead of them, you could run a DSET on the server (support.dell.com/dset) for them to look at.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
ollie-red
1 Copper

i've also taken the PERCI6i interface card out, but booting stops at the same test. Resetting the system to the default values helps not. So i believe there is no chance to run any operation system.

Does anyone has more ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ricepower
1 Copper

I do encounter this link width error problem with our HPC clusters. Could you pls look over on the bmc sel log which device id is causing the link width error? . I suspect it's either the internal nic or LOM,  or the chipset.

Anyhow, the only solution is to replace the mainboard.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
CalebHart
1 Copper

Hi all,

we have here a poweredge 2950 server which halts during the bios checks after a reboot 
with the following error:

degraded link width error: embedded i/o bridge device 18
expected link width is x8
actual link width is x4

system halted!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos