Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2017 15:00

poweredge 860 motherboard generation inquiry

I have a 860 poweredge and i'm having to replace the motherboard the board i'm replacing is

okm697 with a orh817 Mboard where do i find the specs on these two Mboards or can someone tell the specs on the 2 boards

• 

6.2K Posts

July 13th, 2017 18:00

Hello

I'm not aware of any generation differences between the system boards. The only difference between those system boards should be the BIOS revision they ship with. A BIOS update is required to use certain CPUs on the 860. If you install a system board running an older BIOS than what is required for the CPU then it will not complete POST. You will have to install an older CPU to update the BIOS.

KM697 should contain the necessary BIOS revision to work with the CPUs released after the ready to ship date. RH817 looks like the original board, I'm not sure it will have the required BIOS revision to support post-RTS CPUs.

Thanks

4 Posts

July 13th, 2017 15:00

I'm going to be upgrading 4 other dell servers soon and I need to find where I can find the latest upgrade info for these machines Thank you

4 Posts

July 13th, 2017 19:00

thank you very much! Is there a place you can look those motherboard

revisions up i couldn't find anything.  I found a site that showed me motherboard revisions

on Precision 690 there are 3 generations of those boards but nothing on PE860

Anyway thank you very much

JdElliott

• 

6.2K Posts

July 14th, 2017 10:00

Is there a place you can look those motherboard

revisions

Not that I'm aware of. There are not different revision boards. Some boards may ship with an older BIOS.

4 Posts

July 16th, 2017 21:00

THANK YOU

No Events found!