Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2013 14:00

poweredge R210 II and iDRAC6 Express

Recently bought of ebay iDRAC6 Enterprise Express card and after installing this card to my server (server R210 II) it won't start up, even not starts the BIOS or showing anything

I have regular iDRAC6 Enterprise (not Express) and it works as it should, but this one, that you send me is not working

Here are some photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9aj2cup95jjp8gb/nY2FpMm1of

BIOS firmware 2.5.1, iDRAC6 1.95 - latest ones

could you please suggest something

November 24th, 2013 15:00

First, if you can clarify what it is you bought for your server. The first line of your post says you bought the iDRAC6 Enterprise Express card, the Enterprise and Express are two different cards.

Also, if you did buy the iDRAC6 Enterprise for your server, and your server is not POSTing, then it sounds like that card is DOA. Try reseating the card, or swapping it into another server if you have one.

Please note, for the iDRAC6 Enterprise to work on this model server you must first have the Express installed.

Sorry, from the photo I can see the plastic that would hold the express card but cannot  see the express card itself.

DOA means dead on arrival, basically it could just be that it's a bad part.

Honestly if neither card works I am not sure what it could be as it seems unlikely both ports for the iDRAC are bad, you can remove both, clear the NVRAM, then reseat the cards one at a time starting with Express, and see if you get anything different.

If you take off the top cover, there is a diagram that will show you where the NVRAM_CLR jumper is, and how to set it to clear.

4 Posts

>>First, if you can clarify what it is you bought for your server. The first line of your post says you bought the iDRAC6 Enterprise Express card, the >>Enterprise and Express are two different cards.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9aj2cup95jjp8gb/nY2FpMm1of

On the photo you can see two different cards: Enterprise and Express

>>Also, if you did buy the iDRAC6 Enterprise for your server, and your server is not POSTing, then it sounds like that card is DOA. Try reseating the >>card, or swapping it into another server if you have one.

What is mean - DOA? Reseated many times. Unfortunately, I don't have other server

>>Please note, for the iDRAC6 Enterprise to work on this model server you must first have the Express installed.

Express card w/o Enterprise don't work too.

4 Posts

November 24th, 2013 17:00

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r034zj1qlosb9qp/IMG_20131125_030752_107.jpg

Could you tell me what pin should be changed?

4 Posts

November 24th, 2013 18:00

Don't work. What can I do more?

November 24th, 2013 18:00

Perhaps the manual will help, it can be found here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r210-2_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

The jumper information is on pages 115 and 116, it says the jumper should be set on 1-3 to clear on boot.

November 24th, 2013 20:00

Well if the server is not starting up with either of those cards installed, then it sounds like you probably received bad parts or the slots for those ports are bad indicating a problem with the motherboard.

Have you tried the cards in another R210 II? Or do you not have one? Beyond that I would look into returning those cards.

5 Posts

December 18th, 2013 02:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with our 3x R210 II

After BIOS update to date and iDRAC 6 update to date servers don't start. If i plug in other iDRAC 6 with older firmware its start and working perfect. I think its problem with last updates for drac and bios on R210 II.

I can tell on R410, the same iDRAC6 with lastest firmware working fine.

Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

June 11th, 2014 08:00

Hello,

i have the same problem. 

I have 2x R210 ii and 2x iDrac (express and enterprise). 

How firmware you have on BIOS, BMC and lifecycle controller.

I have on first server BIOS 2.7.0, BMC 1.95 - with idrac express server start, but web interface of idrac not work, with idrac enterprice server say "communication iDrac6 failure"

On second server is BIOS version 2.6.1 and BMC 1.61 - with idrac express server start, but say "BMC communication failure"

If i install the same idrac to server R210 or R310, then idrac works perfectly.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2015 08:00

FRANKO-NET, did you manage to solve the problem. ? if so, what did you do  to make it work ? thanks

20 Posts

March 27th, 2016 16:00

Did you ever figure this out?  Also, do you know what the jumpers on the right side of the CMOS battery are for on the last picture?  Thank you.

November 25th, 2021 00:00

Whether or not your problem is solved

No Events found!