Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2013 07:00

trouble initializing blades on m1000e

Background

I am in a server testing facility. I have a M1000e that has been operating just fine for the last year or so. I routinely put new (new to me anyway because I could actually get them from anywhere) PowerEdge blades into the enclosure. After they initialize, I use the CMC software interface to adjust the network settings. Then I power on the blade and boot it to the network where I run Dell diagnostics on it.

I have performed this task hundreds of times on various blades from M600 to M710 to M905. Once the blade is tested I move on to the next one. While I have had 5 or 6 blades running at one time, the M1000e has never been completely loaded with blades, so I keep the filler panels in place to help with airflow and cooling of the enclosure. Also as background information, I must also add that I have a couple of blades that I use in the M1000e to DOD wipe the hard drives on externals DAEs. I have a Dell Ethernet Pass Through module and a Dell 8/4Gbps Fiber Channel Pass Through module.

Problem

On Monday, I received 5 different M610 (gen II) blades to test. I put the first one in and it would not initialize. Sometimes the blades take a while to be fully recognized in the CMC, but this one never did. It showed the blade in the appropriate slot, but when I tried to power it on, I got the error "iDRAC Not Ready". I tried all 5 of the blades with the same result. At the time I was using a M905 to wipe drives on external DAEs. It was running fine, so I tried to see if the M610 blade needed a firmware update. Again this is a process that I have completed successfully many times. However, what normally takes about 3 minutes lasted nearly 30 minutes and then it failed. 

So thinking to just make something work, I took a M610 (gen II) blade that I use all the time for wiping drives and plugged it into the enclosure. I just wanted to see something work. But my fully tested blade acted the same way as the untested blades. Fearing the worst, I waited until the M905 was finishing wiping drives then I powered it off and unplugged it from the enclosure. I knew it had been running, so it at least would work... but it didn't. Now it does the same thing as the other blades. It will not initialize either.

I have since tried a racreset on the M1000e and a full power off for an hour of the enclosure. I still have the same problem. The M1000e comes up just fine. I can get to the CMC software. I can get to the iKVM on the back of the enclosure. But when I put in any blade, it will not initialize.

Please help. Thank you.

Charles

• 

8.8K Posts

April 24th, 2013 07:00

Charles,

Does the CMC show any issues with the power supplies?

Have you reviewed the CMC log to see why the blades are not powering up?

Also, do you happen to configure the iDracs for DHCP? If so, is your DHCP server up?

Let me know what you find out.

• 

8.8K Posts

April 24th, 2013 10:00

Charles,

I am going to send you an email with my contact details. Would you reply to the email with a racdump from racadm, as well as a logdump from the CMC? That may have additional information in it regarding the issue.

You can get the logs from a Putty session to the server.

4 Posts

April 24th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for your quick response.

I am running full 220 on the power, and the CMC does not show any issues with the power supplies on the enclosure.

Although the error message does say to check the CMC log, there is actually no entry for the blade not powering on. The last entry I have is "Login success" for logging into the enclosure.

I actually have to configure the iDracs of the blades and the enclosure to static IPs in a virtual network, so I don't conflict with our company network.

Today,

I have updated the CMC firmware for the M1000e. When I reset the enclosure with one of my original good blades, the info for the server is visible in the CMC, but it will not power on. I have tried to Reset Components as well. It says it does, but it tries to reinitialize the blade and hangs up again.

Thank you, again.

Charles

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 24th, 2013 11:00

Charles,

Can you check below items and let me know the same

1: Can you check Hardware log after inserting the blade and check whether any message related to the inserted blade. If CMC log is full make sure you are clearing it before checking this.

2: What is the CMC and iDRAC FW version for chassis and blade?

3: When you insert blade can you check the LCD on front side of chassis and see whether it is showing any error message

4: What kind of modules you have on Chassis Fabric A,B and C

5: Does the blade have any Mezz Cards?

4 Posts

April 24th, 2013 12:00

Shine,

1. the Hardware log show that the blade is inserted

2. CMC FW version = 4.31 (updated this morning); iDRAC FW version = 3.20 (build 42) - this is a good blade (M610) that used to work

3. LCD panel says "no errors" on server blade, but it also says "iDRAC Booting" and just hangs there

4.Fabric A1 = Dell Ethernet Pass Through module; Fabric C1 = Dell 8/4Gbps Fiber Channel Pass Through module

5. M610 has Emulex LPE1205 -m Mezz card in C slot

Thank you for your help.

Charles

4 Posts

April 26th, 2013 07:00

I've tried everything I know to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Charles

1 Message

May 14th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I have had the same issue reported on an M610 server, using CMC firmware version 3.03.  Removing and re-inserting the blade had no effect, however removing and re-inserting the hard drive resolved the issue and the blade was allowed to boot.

In the long run, this is not a viable solution, a full understanding of what is causing the issue would be nice!

Cheers.

21 Posts

February 13th, 2014 23:00

I have the same issue with a M610.

Did you find a solution?

• 

8.8K Posts

February 14th, 2014 04:00

Is your enclosure and blades up to date? 

If not you need to start with getting it current. From there we powered the enclosure and blades down. Unseat all the blades a couple inches, so nothing is connected, but still in their slots for safe keeping. Remove enclosure power cord and hold power button for 20 seconds. After that reconnect power cables to enclosure and power it up, with the Blades still out. Let the enclosure completely finish starting up and then insert the blades. 

Let us know how it goes.

Here are the updates-

CMC 4.5 - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-m1000e?driverId=D2KPX&osCode=WNET&fileId=3325047092&languageCode=en&categoryId=CE

iDrac 3.5 - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-m610?driverId=C1GG0&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3164900789&languageCode=en&categoryId=ES

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 07:00

Just had a similar issue with a couple old M620s and new M630s.  Plugged new M630 into slot 15, wouldn't initialize after 60 minutes.  Swap with known good blade from slot 14, neither initialize after 60 mins.  Tried an iDRAC reset and a virtual reset on both.  Still no go.  Did a CMC Reset/Failover and after the jet engines kicked in, no issues.

1 Message

March 16th, 2016 07:00

I have the same issue one m620 is booting, but the m630 would not initialize. On CMC racdump

Blade 2. IMC is not ready

bm_blade_actions_clt: receive_mms_response() blade 2 bad response code 0x5203

Poweron unsuccessful for blade 2 rc=0x5203

1 Message

January 28th, 2019 07:00

Hi everyone,  I have the same issue with my blade m610. It's stuck booting, I used the IDrac, virtual reset and cmc reset. 

Did someone fix that problem?

8 Posts

June 4th, 2019 16:00

Hello Snakeyes. 

You solve the problem?

i have the same problem with 16 blades m710hd. Idrac booting... hours and hours. 

I reset cmc. Reser idrac. Dhcp or fix ip... i hace cmc fw 6.2. Many hours for try to solve this but i have the problem...

please inform to me how you finally solve this issue. 

Thanks

8 Posts

December 24th, 2019 06:00

Hello!

Same problem in two m420. Solutions please?

thanks

No Events found!