Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2016 23:00

Available options for deploying OS

Hi. We have recently purchased Dell Poweredge R730xd servers. I am unable to find "Boot from USB" option in BIOS. Also i am unable to deploy OS using the virtual console due to the lack of enterprise license of iDRAC8. I havn't tried installing from external DVD drive yet. What are my available options for deploying OS on Poweredge R730xd servers?

11 Posts

February 17th, 2016 13:00

I had a similar issue where it would always say media not found when trying to install a volume license copy of 2012 R2 with a bootable USB stick within the Lifecycle controller.  We had Dell technical support try as well with no luck.  After fighting with the settings within Lifecycle controller for a few hours I finally discovered that you need to change the iDRAC setting virtual media from "Auto Attach" to Attach.  Don't ask me why this worked but we had 6 identical servers here and that setting fixed it for all of them.  We didn't have any iDRAC SD media installed in any of them either.

January 15th, 2016 03:00

Hello majidkhan  

the USB device is automatically detected in the Boot options just be connected to the server and you select the "One-Shot BIOS Boot Menu" if  BIOS mode.

Other easily option to deploy is LifeCycle Controller (LCC) F10, all systems and approved drivers are already loaded, in my opinion the easiest method

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

2 Posts

January 15th, 2016 05:00

Thanks Alison for the help. I tried both options but was unable to succeed. Selecting the One-Shot BIOS Boot Menu from the boot manager only shows PERC H730 Mini RAID controller and Integrated NIC Port 1 as boot options but no entry for USB. Going for OS deployment through Lifecycle controller displays a message stating that it was unable to find a device capable of reading OS media. It suggests to 1. Install an optical device/enable iDRAC virtual media 2. Verify optical device is enabled in BIOS.

I changed the BIOS mode to UEFI and tried the One-Shot BIOS Boot Menu. This time the USB disk was detected by the system but it couldn't boot from it. I tried booting my laptop from the same USB and verified that it was bootable.

I am still stuck at deploying OS on the poweredge servers.

No Events found!