Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2017 02:00

Can't install new OS on Dell PowerEdge 750/850/2850

Hey everybody,

I recently purchased 14x server computers for a grand total of $50 altogether. Now, the computers are a mix of HP Proliants and Dell PowerEdges. I'm no expert at server computers, so obviously I've had trouble installing an Operating System.

The previous owner had a Linux RedHat Enterprise on the Dell PowerEdge 750s, 850s, and 2850s. I've tried installing Windows Server 2003 & Windows Server 2008 R2 over the top of it, with no luck. The issue I'm receiving is the server computer not detecting any bootable media on my ISO disc, which I burnt the OS ISO file onto. I haven't updated the computers since receiving them, and they clearly haven't seen any use for years.

So, how can I boot off the ISO disc? (I'm also new to RAID, so if anyone could give me a clear set of instructions on what to do that would be very much appreciated.)

Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

August 21st, 2017 11:00

Hello

Microsoft did not include SAS/SCSI drivers in their operating systems until Windows Server 2008. Any previous versions would require that you manually install the RAID controller driver. Older operating systems also require that the driver be loaded from a floppy disk.

2008 and later may not include the necessary drivers for all RAID controllers. If your controller is not recognized then your will need to manually install the driver. Also, drives attached to a RAID controller will not be presented to the operating system unless they are in a virtual disk or non-RAID mode if the controller supports non-RAID.

(I'm also new to RAID, so if anyone could give me a clear set of instructions on what to do that would be very much appreciated

You should be able to find manuals for our storage controllers here:

www.dell.com/support/home/products/ser_stor_net/dell_adapters

Thanks

4 Posts

August 21st, 2017 16:00

Thanks for the response!

How would I get the drivers installed if my disc drive wasn't getting detected? USB?

Also, should I put all the drivers on one piece of media and then install them all at the same time, or one by one?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 12:00

First, don't use 2003. Use 2008 R2.

Second, you will need to load drivers, as 2008 R2 dropped the SCSI drivers added in 2008. This can be done by downloading the drivers from Dell, running to extract them, then putting them on a USB (or CD, etc.).

Third, it is VERY likely that your server has a CD drive only and cannot read DVD. The 2850 (at least) will boot to USB, but you will need to make sure you have a DVD drive.

Finally, you cannot simply copy an ISO file to a disc and have it be bootable. You must use special software capable of expanding an ISO to write the image to disc. In Windows 7+, right-click the ISO and burn image to disc (built-in capability).

4 Posts

September 1st, 2017 23:00

OK, thanks. I've tried this, but I doubt that I'm installing the right drivers, as it still seems to be not working.

Could someone please link me to the exact drivers I need to download for me to be able to install Windows Server 2008 R2? Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2017 14:00

Which server and which controller is in each server that you want to install 2008 R2 on?

4 Posts

September 6th, 2017 16:00

Well, I want to try to install it on only one server first, then the others later.

It's a Dell Poweredge 2850, not sure what controller it has, it's got a DRAC. I can attach a picture if you want.

No Events found!