Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 22nd, 2017 11:00

CentOS 7 unable to boot on R710

Hi

I have recently gotten a used R710 Server to use as a storage appliance.

I do however face some issues with it. Intially I installed WIndows 10 in order to get iDRAC and USC to the latest version in order to update the other components of the system.

After updating the firmware of all components through the USC Platform Update, I wanted to install CentOS 7 on the server.

First I tried using and SD Card in the SD Card slot of the server. The system boots fine on the CentOS 7.3 LiveGNOME Boot USB and also installs fine, but when it has to boot from the SD Card I get a lot of dracut initqueue timeout errors and then it says that a start job is running for dev/sdb3.device and this keeps running and never reaches the OS.

I retried with a normal SATA HDD connected through the hot-swap bays in the front, but I get the same result.

How can I get this to work with an R710? Any special procedure or drivers I need to install? 

EDIT: It seems that it works both on HDD and SD Card if I burn a CD and install using the DVD-ROM drive of the server, but it should be possible to do with a USB-stick.

3 Posts

April 24th, 2017 07:00

I have a similar problem with a R730 server. I can't even boot the live version. It simply hangs as soon as I select the option in the Menu. The same goes for the installation.

I have replaced the media and even installed another server with it. Worked like a charm, but not in this server. Ubuntu on the other hand could be installed.

6 Posts

February 25th, 2019 04:00

Was anyone able to make CentOS boot ? I have Dell R710, I load the CentOS installer from USB stick, it detects all drives, installs it, and after restart it cannot find any boot device.

February 25th, 2019 22:00

Please check which drive CentOS is installing and did you select overwrite all partition ?. 

did you installing BIOS or UEFI mode and what kind of hard disk  in use like NVMe/SSD/SAS/SATA because you cant boot NVMe disk in BIOS mode.

6 Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

I got over the booting problem by: - booting in bios (not uefi) - removed second virtual disk and only used on large disk and let centos partition it - also I made sure I deleted everything on the partition and re-created the partition table (selected ms-dos partition mode) with gparted bootable ISO. It booted fine, now I get all kind of OS errors, network errors, etc. The server is driving me nuts, I should have used consumer grade hardware. // Dell just want us to use a limited amount of drives and a limited number of operating systems, so when these are outdated the server has to be replaced with newer model. On consumer grade hardware things just work without the struggle. I didn't even get into installing services, I can't wait to see the incompatibility surprises there.

2.9K Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

Hello,

I have an R710 also, and had CentOS 7 installed on it previously, though I'm not sure on the specific minor revision I had. The server worked without issue and I was using it as a home media and game server. What specific errors are you seeing? The community will be better able to assist if you can share the specific errors.

No Events found!