Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2012 11:00

DOS bootable diskette for firmware update

Hi,

Can someone pls point me to a link where the steps are outlined to create a dos bootable diskette?

I am trying to update some bios firmware from a chassis to a blade (M610) and it is asking about this.

BTW, I hope you don't actually need a real floppy for this and a real floppy drive.

Thx,

John Bradshaw

<<<<< >>>>>>

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2012 11:00

I have uploaded some instructions and a boot disk creator, for you and others to download and review. It will be up for 7 days, and then be taken down.

The instructions go over creating a bootable dos disk so you don’t need to use a floppy.

https://dtxdropbox.dell.com/

Login Name:

boot disk

Password:

tvvi0kl5

Let us know how things go.

Thanks.

February 17th, 2012 11:00

yes to both question, you are going to need a real floppy disk and a floppy drive, the bois are looking for those instructions on the diskette, where to find it is another problem, some where they have junk yard of old servers, there is a place in phx az like that, i have driven there but dont know the physical address

only by driving there with another friend in the computer field, i know these people at the forum are really helpful and the maybe able to help.

if you have the information on a zip drive, it may work not sure., there is a book out there that may be able to help you i have a copy of the book, it may be a copy at the locale library> called the bios companion by phil croucher, it was very help for bois upgrades to motherbaords, come with cd-rom for referance, the copy i have older copy there is a newer one out there

i am sorry that i was not more helpful, be of luck

rod gandy  the candyman

3 Apprentice

• 

898 Posts

February 17th, 2012 12:00

John, is there a reason you dont use a bootable USB key? Also, is there a reason you want to use the dos based bios package rather than a windows or linux based package?

743 Posts

February 19th, 2012 15:00

This looks good Daniel. many thx

John Bradshaw

743 Posts

February 19th, 2012 15:00

Hi Rey,

This update is before an O/S is installed. If there is a USB "How to Guide" I  would appreciate that.

Thx

John Bradshaw

39 Posts

February 14th, 2013 13:00

I echo the need for "permanent, clear" instructions and, if appropriate, software.

Why would the other person place the tips and software on the site for TWO DAYS and then remove it? (security reasons, I know)

There is a CONSTANT need for this stuff!

1) The need to do the USB-based floppy drive, along with instructions and software for that

2) The need to do the bootable USB stick, along with instructions and software for that

At any rate, I have this same need, and I find myself having to "fumble around" each time, to find the steps needed. Would be nice to have a semi-permanent "sticky" or something, where we could get this stuff.

Either way, Google is our friend ; that's what I usually end up using, and finding the needed steps and pieces (that's how I ended up here).

Cheers!

1.2K Posts

February 14th, 2013 14:00

My way, fairly easy..

Download the 32bit diags software: www.dell.com/.../poweredge-m610

Run the program on a windows desktop, and select usb media as your install option. Follow the prompts and create the bootable usb media.

Create a directory on the usb stick then copy your bios/firmware files to that directory. Bung the stick in the M610 and power it on, press F12 to select boot options and scroll down the screen. Under hard drive there will be the c drive and  front usb, select and boot from that.

It will run the diags program and present a menu, select option 4 to exit. It will drop you to a dos prompt D:, which is the ram disk. Cd C: to change drive to c: which is the root of the usb stick. Again CD to your bios directory and run your bios file from there.

I have used this method on every blade going and cool bit is the diags are there if you need them.....

743 Posts

February 14th, 2013 14:00

Thx Tommo,

The Utility says that my 8GB USB drive is too large to format with this utility and onlt drives up to 2GB are supported.

How do I get around that, as no one seems to have anything less than 4 GB in our office.

Cheers,

John Bradshaw

743 Posts

February 14th, 2013 15:00

Ta

1.2K Posts

let me know how you get on and if you hit any barriers

1.2K Posts

Old school, fat32 partitions etc, I have small usb flash drives for just this type of thing, bought 6x 1gb flash disks from ebay. No other way to get round it. buy a smaller stick

1 Message

April 22nd, 2014 17:00

I am having an issue that when booted in my M610 I get a "invalid pbr" that comes up with the usb. Any idea on what the issue might be with the USB? And even better how to possibly fix it?

1 Message

July 30th, 2014 20:00

Hi Daniel, I would need these files too, but the url needs a login. Can you point me to these.

I am using Dell Inspiron 7700 Special Edition and ran into 2000-0332, and came here via 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19477561.aspx

Thanks,
Salman

1 Message

July 21st, 2017 14:00

OMG for lack of a good emoji for this. I have been trying for a full day to do a BIOS update on a Poweredge R610. The DOS bootable is a boot from USB which the server BIOS does not list. Create a CD with MSDOS on it. The drives are ESXi and I am thinking about reformatting and installing windowz to do this. Can i get any harder for something so simple?

No Events found!