Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2014 04:00

Dell PowerEdge R710 - Update Firmware and Drivers

I found many articles and blogs on updating the firmware of Dell PowerEdge R710 Servers. To begin with I downloaded the repository in USB format and when I launched USC (by pressing F10) and tried to do firmware update, it will compare the versions and display me a list of 5-6 items but when I apply to update it throws it can't be applied or downloaded etc.
Should OS be installed for this method to work?
Also, should the Flash Drive contain only those files or can it have any files as long those files are present. I've a flash 64GB with lot of data..so don't want to empty it and then try.
I tried with 8GB drive too with only those files.

Later I tried from iDRAC6 by following this post: http://lonesysadmin.net/2011/03/07/the-easiest-way-to-update-a-dell-servers-firmware/
the author Bob has mentioned point and likewise I downloaded the cdu2.2 ISO and boot the system using that but when i connect the second image it throws it is either not found or not in correct format.

Can someone point me to some PDF or arcticle which explains the basics of this activity and then list the steps in order.

If I've known Dell correctly, they are masters in making things simple but why is the confusion of SBUU, CDU etc..

I tried FTP method it downloads but while installing it throws Unauthorized files.

Am I missing something here? It's been 3 days now and every method seems to be failing with some error.

These were decommissioned from Production and now being re-assigned to another project. I notcied that firmware were of the year 2012 so thought of updating it.

WHat is the procedure to update drivers? should that also happen by itself in the above or a different method?

SOrry for keeping the post long but i wanted to give as much information as i can. PLease provide me some advice and help.

Thanks in advance

• 

6.2K Posts

July 20th, 2014 10:00

Hello

The SUU is a repository. It has a catalog file associated with it that the LCC and other utilities use to determine what is available in the repository. The SUU needs to be in a certain format for this to work. You can't simply copy files around from one location to another. I suspect you installed the SUU onto the USB correctly since it found available updates.

The problem is likely that you are running an old version of the LCC. When you don't run updates for an extended period of time you will need to manually perform some updates. Connect to the iDRAC web interface and choose the update option at the left of the page. Download the iDRAC and LCC updates and apply them on this screen. They will upload from your computer through the web interface to the server.

iDRAC: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=G6N28&fileId=3377085387&osCode=WLHS1&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=EN&categoryId=ES

LCC: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7Y5M4&fileId=3364545105&osCode=BIOSA&productCode=poweredge-r710&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SV

You may need to restart in between the updates. Update the iDRAC first. After you complete the updates boot to the LCC(F10) again and attempt to update using the SUU you created.

Thanks

July 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hi,

I forgot to mention earlier that I updated the firmware of iDRAC6 and LCC through iDRAC6 but it was one version prior to the latest one and at that time I had done LCC first and then iDRAC6.

Anyways, I again updated as per your request and then after rebooting the server for 2nd time and going into F10 I was again not able to use the USB. It will show the the download is not happening or something like that.

I aagain download a fresh copy of files and tried just now.

It showed me updated frmware versions for LCC (1.6.5.12), iDRAC6  (1.97) & Network (7.8.53) under current and avaiable columns. { once through windows I ran network firmware update to see if those files are working and it worked like a charm, hence it was also reflecting.

The rest four were selected and I applied... it started to copying and validating the DUP and soon threw an ERROR

"The Update Package that you selected to install failed during download or installation. Please retry the operation or provide alternate source for repository."

1. If my flash drive is d:\ then the files are in these folders
    d:\Catalog (here i downloaded two files .gz & .sign)
    d:\SUP64...\all the files downloaded
    d:\SUP64...\repository

tell me one thing, there is one catalog file in repository folder, should i remove it?
should i move the repository folder to d:\repository\ like this
should I delete other folder present in flash d:\myfolder
do i need correct repository
do i need to mention repository path after I select CD\USB option
Should I turn system firewall off in windows
what am i missing here?

Thanks

No Events found!